Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: hero?
push 8 18.18%
fold 36 81.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: STTF [censored] thread January (NSFW)

Shillx, it wasn't the speakers. My kids (4 and 7) could here stuff that I couldn't. Not those in particular, but other mosquito tones. They didn't seem to find the sounds annoying.

Of the old adults here, the women hear them a bit better than the men.

Wiggs, nocebo is an actual word. At least Dr. Dean used it. The opposite of placebo. You feel bad because you expected to.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.fork.com/ringtones.php

has some you can sample. I got that link from the washingtonpost website so I assume it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Damn, I thought I had young ears. I can hear the 15khz, but after that, not really. My ears are ringing after trying for a while, so maybe something registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

so apparently (according to Julianne Moore in Children of Men anyway) that ringing is the sound of ear cells dying. when it stops you'll never be able to hear that frequency again.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 AM

holy poop it's ilya.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so apparently (according to Julianne Moore in Children of Men anyway) that ringing is the sound of ear cells dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God I hope that isn't true. My ears are still ringing for no reason.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw my ears still hear those damn sounds almost 5 minutes later.

[/ QUOTE ]

That stuff scares the crap out of me, there's no way I'm going to listen to it. There's no cure for tinnitus (permanent ringing) and it literally drives some people insane - William Shatner was suicidal after there was an explosion on the set of Star Trek that made one of his ears ring forever. He had/has a device that pumps constant white noise into the ear.

You're not a pussy if you wear earplugs to a concert.

That being said, I doubt anything bad will result long-term from listening to these tones. I'm still way too scared to check it out though.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 AM

i dont know where to post this so whatever:

when is this downswing at the 16s going to end for me?

like, what is the maximum breakeven stretch for a good player to be able to prepare for. i'm dying here. i was at 30% roi over my first 300, and i dont even want to look at what it is total now.

please give me a number for the longest breakeven stretch for somneone who doesnt suck please please please
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.fork.com/ringtones.php

has some you can sample. I got that link from the washingtonpost website so I assume it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be weird, because I can't hear 15-19, but I can hear 20 and the mosquito tone.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 AM

So I just played a home poker game with some friends I haven't seen since high school and wow. I didn't know it was possible to be that bad at poker. Multiple times I could only look on in awe and wonder what could possibly be going through their minds.

My King high won after it was called down by a Q high even though I was betting every single street. The same guy called an aipf with 34s because he thought the other guy was bluffing. And the guy who knocked me out in 3rd place when his AJ beat my AQ informed that we were actually pretty close to even and him catching a J wasn't that bad.

The night also had some brilliant performances including my favorite of "oh man, there are just too many diamonds out there for me" sigh, "I raise" It was good to see everyone again but man, there was just not a single person who had any idea of what they were doing. Pretty sure this is one of those stories that you just have to be there for but I figured I'd share it anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was at 30% roi over my first 300

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't seriously think that was sustainable, did you?

[ QUOTE ]

please give me a number for the longest breakeven stretch for somneone who doesnt suck please please please

[/ QUOTE ]

1000 games
Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just played a home poker game with some friends I haven't seen since high school and wow. I didn't know it was possible to be that bad at poker. Multiple times I could only look on in awe and wonder what could possibly be going through their minds.

My King high won after it was called down by a Q high even though I was betting every single street. The same guy called an aipf with 34s because he thought the other guy was bluffing. And the guy who knocked me out in 3rd place when his AJ beat my AQ informed that we were actually pretty close to even and him catching a J wasn't that bad.

The night also had some brilliant performances including my favorite of "oh man, there are just too many diamonds out there for me" sigh, "I raise" It was good to see everyone again but man, there was just not a single person who had any idea of what they were doing. Pretty sure this is one of those stories that you just have to be there for but I figured I'd share it anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. I'm surprised when people on here have anything good to say about players in their home games.

As for AQ vs. AJ, I had a similar hand a while back aipf where he caught his J but then I rivered a straight...everyone said what a bad beat it was and when I said I had him crushed pf he disagreed.
Closed Thread