Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Anyone play Eve-Online? [MMO]

Lovely story, mad.

See, that's the kind of stuff why I enjoyed playing Ultima Online back in the days before they wussied it down by introducing a safe facet (damn you, Trammel). Scammers, looters, thieves, player killers - they all enhance the playing experience. Getting ganked & griefed may be annoying at times, but if it's done with style it can be a great experience even if you're the one at the losing end.

It's just the kick of being at risk theoretically wherever you go. And the better the spots are you want to hang at, the more risk.
There are two player types: One that goes "OMFG GREIFER!!" (they somehow always misspell that word) and quits disgusted, returning to WoW to grind monsters (now isn't THAT exiting!!), or those that say "lol, that sucked, but in a funny way. I wanna do that, too" and try to adopt to use the same tactics or (imo even better) develop counter strategies.

I, for one, am the gank-me-now-but-I'll-be-back-to-whip-you-good type. It's just fun playing games like this, hopefully learning your lessons when you're getting your ship handed back in tidy little scraps.

Like yesterday, I took my noob character to do some trading runs just to see how that works - all in .5-.3 security space (from what I gather, upcoming pirates love .4).
Now, putting an approx. 25k ship (insurance is 8k, equipment about 16-17ish) plus another 40k trading goods at risk for a measly profit of 10k may be questionable at best (I could've made more by mining in 1.0 sec space in less time), but it has been fun.
Especially, fleeing from two wannabe pirates who didn't get the gate camping thing right while mocking them in local has been entertaining.

I'm really starting to like this game. I'm still fairly clueless at which skills I want to pick up in which order, but I'm getting more informed every day. Furthermore, the possibilities are HUGE. And that's only from what I've seen what the game mechanics offer. The whole meta game possibilities (scamming, politics, production lines, orders, trading, etc... heck, you can even buy shares of in-game coorporations?!) seem almost endless.
All I need now is a solid corp that don't mind having a casual european player learning the ropes while hopefully contributing.

Mad, any suggestions? Feel free to eve-mail my char (Lil'Red Ridin'Hood) if you've got any pointers.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 PM

So I pretty much finished the tutorial last night. I had to start it over on char #2 after mad suggested i go straight to freighters 4 for my combat character. I was just going to finish it on char 1 and then move to char 2 but it didn't continue currectly when i got home. Kept saying "you have to be in deep space pocket #2", but no matter how many times i tired to warp there after finishing the mining exercise it never got unstuck.

Ah well.

So char #2, i mine my first asteroid, it depletes, i get stuck again needing to 'warp to deep space pocket #2". Whatever. This time i skip on until something i can complete (going back to the station to refine it) and continue on. Now i'm doing the missions at the end of the training and i think the last couple have paid me something like 30k+30k time bonus (giving me like 150ish now). Damn, might be able to buy a non-total noob ship soon. I still have a mission or two left before "reveal the full ui" and the real game starts.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM

I restarted yesterday, since I found out that my first character had horrible attributes and skills for what I wanted to do (kill NPC pirates).

The tutorial seems very picky about where you are in order to proceed. That's kind of annoying. Especially at the end where I'd figured out what to do so I was ahead of the tutorial and I couldn't easily get back in the situation it needed me to be in in order to proceed.

The server is down today for maintenance it seems and I'm bored. So I dug around on youtube and found a very well-produced recruitment video from a player corp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1kMG_YxK3Q

Also, here is an article about the heist from PC Gamer:
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Good stuff.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Madtown, and everyone:

Good to see an Eve thread. I myself tried it out about a month ago, and have been playing quite a bit since then. I agree with much of what people have said about the game, very different from previous MMORPGs mostly in good ways.

For the past month I've been doing the solo thing and it honestly doesn't suck as bad as Madtown makes it out to be. Obviously it would get old after years and years of it, but for a beginning character it still is fun to run missions in high security space and slowly learn about the ins and outs of the game.

I do have some friends (who told me to try the game out) who are part of a big corporation in 0.0 space, so once I feel up for it I'll join up with them and try that aspect of the game.

If anyone checks out the trial, has any questions about playing or just wants to shoot the crap for a few my character name is bigswedeloverboy; feel free to message me whenever you see me online.

PS Learning skills suck!

Swede
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Madtown,

That story was painfully nerdy and I really liked it. Maybe I will demo your nerdlinger game.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 PM

"you cannot warp there because natural phenomina are disrupting the warp."

asdflkjasdfkljasdfljkdas;fjasdfjasfjs

anyway

I have an agent mission to kill some pirates but when i follow the journal entry there are no pirates there. WTF?

I think i missed the section on scanning, maybe i need some probes or something to find them.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 PM

I finished the tutorial today. Is this the first set of pirates you have to kill? I remember other players killing them and I had to wait for them to respawn.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finished the tutorial today. Is this the first set of pirates you have to kill? I remember other players killing them and I had to wait for them to respawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your first agent is in the training base and he sends you to another after a mission or two. It was the first mission from that second agent (who is in another system).

That char is stuck somewhere when i zone right now anyway (ui won't load) so i'm playing another [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 AM

I just finished a mission from the second agent. I had to find some pirates and kill about 18 of them and take out their habitat. I think that might be where you are stuck. I went to the location they gave but didnt find crap. I think I kept trying the link through the mission details and it got me in an empty part of space and most everything in my overview was far away moons and such. Only two things were close a beacon and a gateway or something like that. I used the gate and it warped me to the pirates.

I figured out the mission was in dead space where you can't warp. I had to leave and come back to finish the last part cause I ran out of ammo. LOL the pirate's home took like 300 rounds+ to kill and after all the fighting earlier I didn't have enough. Not sure if you have upgraded your ship but you will probably need to for this mission. I got the cheapest frigate 45k and put two cheap guns on it and it was easy. I took out the far left group first, then the middle one and the large group on the right had about 10 ships. I shot at the habitat and they all came. I just kept flying away from them and keeping my targets up while I killed them off.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Stabn, sometimes you don't have enough capacitor energy to warp in one jump. So after the first jump you end up in the middle of nowhere and have to jump again.

Another thing that confused me a bit was that in some missions you go to a beacon instead of an accelerator gate. The beacons work exactly the same but they're small and easy to miss so you *think* you're in the middle of nowhere.