Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Default 50NL 6max- Small flush on river

Villain was 72/0/1.4 over 35 hands.

Oh, and sorry this isn't a big pot hand. It seems like an insignificant post but I think there can be some discussion of when you call a bet with a small flush. This pot could have been $25 and villain bet $6. Do you call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($92.60)
MP ($65.30)
CO ($26.10)
Hero ($52.20)
SB ($60.90)
BB ($50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB calls $2.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($8) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($8) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.50.

River: ($11) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, Hero?

I called turn thinking I had a bunch of outs. Maybe a club, 5 or 4.

Do I call the river with this small flush? I know that I called on the turn to hopefully hit a club but that didn't mean I was prepared to call a $3 bet with it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 50NL 6max- Small flush on river

I dump this. You beat one flush and I dont think you are good often enough to make it a profitable call.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I called on the turn to hopefully hit a club but that didn't mean I was prepared to call a $3 bet with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is flawed and would fold the turn. What did you hope for a free showdown?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dump this. You beat one flush and I dont think you are good often enough to make it a profitable call.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I called on the turn to hopefully hit a club but that didn't mean I was prepared to call a $3 bet with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is flawed and would fold the turn. What did you hope for a free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain's bet was very small. I thought that if another club came he'd check.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM

A bet that small really would make me worry. Like what was said above you only beat 1 flush. It looks like he really wants a call here. I probably fold.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM

I agree with the fold. On the turn he bet $1.50 into an $8 pot, that usually screams to me he's on the flush draw now, and your 5club only beats 1 card.

Is there a reason you didnt cb on the flop? Since you checked the flop, the other 2 can think you're trying to slowplay an Ace, but when the turn came a club, now the only players that will hang around are the flush draws and since you called, it shows you're not trying to protect a J or A... make sense?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the fold. On the turn he bet $1.50 into an $8 pot, that usually screams to me he's on the flush draw now, and your 5club only beats 1 card.

Is there a reason you didnt cb on the flop? Since you checked the flop, the other 2 can think you're trying to slowplay an Ace, but when the turn came a club, now the only players that will hang around are the flush draws and since you called, it shows you're not trying to protect a J or A... make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm never cbetting this flop with 55. I'll just take the free card and hope I hit a 5 and stack someone who was slowplaying.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM

isn't the point of cbetting is to continue the bet when you raise PF, then are checked to... cbetting only has to work 1 in 3 times to break even if you bet 1/2 pot. If somebody is slowplaying, it'll be easy to dump your 55 after a reraise. If they call your bet and bet out the turn, you can dump it easily. Villain bet $1.50 turn, $3 river and you have no idea where you stand because you raised PF then started checking. My 2cents.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM

[/ QUOTE ] I'm never cbetting this flop with 55. I'll just take the free card and hope I hit a 5 and stack someone who was slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're never cbetting this flop with 55? I can understand not cbetting into 2 players in this situation, but if its only 1 opponent I'm definitely cbetting, especially if he has a high fold to CB %.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm never cbetting this flop with 55. I'll just take the free card and hope I hit a 5 and stack someone who was slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're never cbetting this flop with 55? I can understand not cbetting into 2 players in this situation, but if its only 1 opponent I'm definitely cbetting, especially if he has a high fold to CB %.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm never cbetting this flop into 2 players. I'm cbetting this flop most of the time against 1 opponent unless his "fold to cbet" % is like 30.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't the point of cbetting is to continue the bet when you raise PF, then are checked to... cbetting only has to work 1 in 3 times to break even if you bet 1/2 pot. If somebody is slowplaying, it'll be easy to dump your 55 after a reraise. If they call your bet and bet out the turn, you can dump it easily. Villain bet $1.50 turn, $3 river and you have no idea where you stand because you raised PF then started checking. My 2cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that board I'm getting called a lot. The call of $1.50 was because it was so cheap. I don't care if I don't know where I'm at. It's not a huge pot where I'm going to be faced with tough decisions later on. On the river I'm not sure if I should call or not but it doesn't really matter if I call and I'm wrong or if I fold.