Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: My Video Session - NL10 30 minutes #2

[ QUOTE ]

T1 JJ You don't have a read on him, but its probably not a reason to fold. You have a strong overpair. He's most likely on TT-66. That was a bit weak.

I didn't elaborate on the video, but my thinking was if I call, I am going to be OOP to someone who says they have a big hand. Do I check the turn? Bet the turn? I will most likely be getting most or all of my stack in with this hand if I continue.

T2 QQ Did you bet 5BB with QQ and 4BB with JJ? What was the reason?

No reason. I read a 2+2 post somewhere about mixing up the raising once in a while. I didn't have a reason here, and it definitely was not based on hand strength!

Because the board is dangerous, you need to pot bet it. If a station wants to call it, make it pay to see cards. The more dangerous the board is the more you should bet. Pot flop. Certainly pot the turn. Bets are too weak. The river push was very dangerous, your against a much better hand here very often. A block bet would be nice if you had a deeper stack.

Good points. Looking back, I probably should have bet slightly more on the flop. I think the turn bet was adequate size. A blocking bet would be good if I had more than a PSB left. Give my stack size, I think my only bet was to push the rest as it was about 2/3 the pot.

T2 53o No need to go on tilt just because you stacked someone.

Based on some session reviews by others, I am going to start implementing calling more on the button to take advantage of my position and my better post flop play.

T3 JTs Good raise.

T2 KQ Good fold

Thanks. Tempting hand though.

T2 A9 I am not sure that limping here is such a good idea.
For me its either a raise or a fold.

With one limper, yes. Two+ limpers....depends on how I feel about the hand and the table. More likely to raise that if it were suited.

Nice vid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 AM

JJ) Yes. Check the turn. See how much he bets. If its out of line, its most probably a bluff or he wants protection for his overpair. Then you shove. If its something reasonable what you think he might bet with a made set or a straight, you can fold.

QQ) Ok. I was just worried about this preflop betsizing.

53) Right. That may include offsuited connectors up to 89. The rest is just burning money. Here is an excellent statistical analysis on preflop EV vs position:

http://www.pokerroom.com/poker/poker...by-players.php
Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 AM

the JJ hand, the 53 hand, and the A9 hand, as others have mentioned, are my only real criticisms..

on the JJ hand, I agree that folding there is weak..and I agree that he probably has a mid PP..that said, I am wondering if just calling the raise would be best, since we probably have him beat, he is probably drawing to 2 outs...and he will probably check or bet small on the turn and river IMO

I agree that the 53o is a spew, even on the button

and I agree that the A9o should have either been folded or raised..I can't see making money on the hand with a limp..considering how hard postflop play will be...I would prefer just folding, but that may be the worse of the two options

overall, great video..I'm looking forward to seeing more...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 AM

Hey,

This is one of my first posts here, so please try to be easy on me...lol.
I also play some 6 max 10NL on PS, and watched your video, and would like some clarification on raising smaller pocket pairs in early/middle position. I tend to limp with these hands, (which, I know is a mistake in a 6max game). I have tried raising them, but raising 44-77 tends to be difficult for me, because a standard preflop raise gets 2-3 callers. If any overcards hit, you cannot get people off 2nd pr, 3rd pr, etc. I tend to play them for set value only in early/middle position.
I have dabbled with 25NL a slight bit, and have noticed that it seems I can play those smaller pocket pairs in early/middle position better there, because they have slightly less callers, and I can isolate more.

Just wondering what your reasoning and the rest of the forums is on this.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 AM

I agree playing the pocket pairs for set value only on lower limits.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

This is one of my first posts here, so please try to be easy on me...lol.
I also play some 6 max 10NL on PS, and watched your video, and would like some clarification on raising smaller pocket pairs in early/middle position. I tend to limp with these hands, (which, I know is a mistake in a 6max game). I have tried raising them, but raising 44-77 tends to be difficult for me, because a standard preflop raise gets 2-3 callers. If any overcards hit, you cannot get people off 2nd pr, 3rd pr, etc. I tend to play them for set value only in early/middle position.
I have dabbled with 25NL a slight bit, and have noticed that it seems I can play those smaller pocket pairs in early/middle position better there, because they have slightly less callers, and I can isolate more.

Just wondering what your reasoning and the rest of the forums is on this.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: just skip to the bottom if you don't want to read all this..it's mostly just rambling...

keep in mind that I am relatively new to NL 6max...but here is how I understand it

getting multiple callers when you raise those smaller pocket pairs is not necessarily a bad thing...

and raising them does not mean that you are not longer playing them for set value...if fact, it increases the set value of those PPs.

there are a few possible outcomes when raising those pocket pairs..

ONE caller - you c-bet most of the time and make money there...and you also make money when you do hit your set

MULTIPLE callers - you're right, c-betting into multiple callers with what is probably an underpair is not the best idea...but that doesn't mean that you have lost your value...

by raising preflop (and getting more than one caller)..you have built a pot that is probably about 10 or 14 or 18 BBs...when you hit your set, you will..1) likely be way ahead..2) have a hand that your opponents will have a hard time putting you on...3..most importantly, you have a pot that is big enough that, if anyone else hit it with top pair 2 pair or something is (to them) worth going after..so you win very big pots with the sets you hit in these situations..

if you had just limped, even when you hit your set, you will not be winnng such big pots..

it may seem like you are draining money by raising a low PP, getting multiple callers, then check/folding..but you really aren't..you just can't expect to be winning most of those pots..you should be expecting to be losing most of them for 4-5BBs...and winning big 100+BB pots every so often.

---------------------------------------------------------

another way of thinking about it is to consider this...

imagine there are two scenarios at $.05/.10 NL 6max

1) limp 55 and there are 3 other people in the pot..
2) raise 55 to 4xBB and get 3 callers

consider that in both scenarios on average you will win a pot that is 4x whatever the pot is preflop when you hit your set

in scenario 1, you risk 1BB to win an average of 15BBs when you hit your set..

in scenario two, since you raised, you risk 4BBs to win an average of 60BBs when you hit your set..

they are both winning propositions...but over 8.5 attempts (the odds that you will hit your set..just because it's easy math (actually the math might be wrong.but it doesn't matter), but the number doesn't matter.), in the first scenario you will be up 6.5BBs...in the second scenario, you will be up 26BBs in the same # of attempts...

so by raising, and bloating the pot (raising the stakes really) on a winning proposition, you will make more money.

--now, in reality, you may be able to make more than 4x the pot when you limp or maybe less than 4x the pot when you raise...that depends on a lot of things..but I can assure you that even IF you can make a decent higher % of the pot when you limp over raising, it's not enough to make up for the principle that I just discussed...

so raise those PPs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

------------------------------------------------------

again, I'm new to this, but I think that what I just wrote is basically correct..someone tell me if it isn't [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: I just realized that I said a lot of unnecessary crap that will probably just confuse you...

the general idea is...

hitting sets with those PPs is a winning proposition..byt raising the stakes on a winning proposition, you make more money

or course there is a lot more, but that is the general principle
Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... would like some clarification on raising smaller pocket pairs in early/middle position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as another poster pointed out. You want to build a pot in case you hit your monster set. If the table is very passive and you get lots of calls, but not raises, feel free to limp in EP with smaller PP. Most of the advice on uNL says to raise it up, but I find for very passive tables PF limping gets you in cheap. In higher limits, you want to raise as in higher limits you won't get as many people calling you. In NL10, not many people will respect an EP raise. This is true at my B&M game too. Limping with a low PP can usually get you to a flop. It really depends on the table conditions.

Also, how much are you raising PF in the NL10? If you are raising 4xBB + 1BB for each limper, that is standard. But...if you are raising this amount in EP and consistently getting 2+ callers, bump up the raise. Make them pay to draw out on you. The standard raise at my B&M to get heads up PF in NL200 is about $12+. Sometimes as high as $20!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM

What happened to the putting all the videos in one thread idea??
Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened to the putting all the videos in one thread idea??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is better in individual threads in addition to the video thread. Discussion on individual hands can be tidier in a single thread. I did post the links to the video thread (now) also.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only about 1/2 way through right now. But did notice one thing...

You should consider adding the "Calls Continuation Bet" and "Folds to Continuation Bet" statistics on PAHUD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that on the popup when you click on the name, or on the on-screen stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mine onscreen not in the popupwindow. I'd take a screen shot but I'm at work. It looks something like this...

VP$IP PFR CCBT
AGR #Hands FCBT

It's about the size of the poker stars "no avatars" layout so it fits nicely above or below each player's name.