Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: ($38 6 handed) 66 help

Not sure of bubble implications here because it is 6max, but in a regular SNG I am always opening t250.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy shove. Open raising is more exploitable so just shove all your chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not shoving 15 bb's against two relatively loose opponents on the bubble....so they can call me with K-J suited??

I'm folding this preflop....I know that sounds weak, but I would rather shove an AQ or something, then pocket 6's....or wait until the blinds go up and you can shove when it means something. But here I don't think the risk is worth the reward.....not with 15 bb's.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think it's a tough decision between a limp, a raise and a push, I can't imagine I would ever fold this hand when it is 3-handed, I'm on the button first in, and with these stack sizes.

What am I missing here?

Jan
Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While I think it's a tough decision between a limp, a raise and a push, I can't imagine I would ever fold this hand when it is 3-handed, I'm on the button first in, and with these stack sizes.

What am I missing here?

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe nothing....what play do you like?? A fold is not that terrible. You might have some +EV, but it's also the bubble and you're the shorty, but you have a healthy stack. You can probably get more +EV later.....

I do think limping is fine though.....the only play I would not do here is push....but JSH likes a push and he's about 10X more baller than I am....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 PM

He described their calling range as loose and he still has a good stack relative to the blinds on the bubble. If they had a normal fold range I would raise this all day. If he is pretty sure they will play a big range and will play back at him, what flop will you be happy with. He is going to commit chips and have a tough time playing his hand. There is no rush with his stack, why dwindle it here.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What am I missing here?

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe nothing....what play do you like?? A fold is not that terrible. You might have some +EV, but it's also the bubble and you're the shorty, but you have a healthy stack. You can probably get more +EV later.....

I do think limping is fine though.....the only play I would not do here is push....but JSH likes a push and he's about 10X more baller than I am....

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? I'm probably pushing.

First, how does the OP define loose? While I don't play the 6 SNG's, I would expect most players to play a wider range of hands given that the entire game is played short-handed.

Second, have the players tightened up since it became bubble time? We don't know this either, but play typically tightens at the bubble.

Third, the SB is probably going to tighten up considerably when facing a push from the button. Why should he risk decimating his stack when he can fold and hope the big stack takes him out.

Who ran the numbers that showed a slight -EV for pushing here? Maybe if the SB's calling range is tightened up, would this change the push to a +EV?

I would be worried about the BB though since he has a pretty big stack, and for this reason I wouldn't want to put in a standard raise here pf. Too easy for the BB to either push pf or call and then push the flop. And if he does check the flop and you didn't hit the flop, what kind of bet can you make to try and push the bb out of the pot without actually moving in on the flop.

I still don't think limping is a bad idea here. You might get to see the flop cheaply and possibly hit the flop or be able to put in a bet on the flop if the BB checks. Might be worth a try, but I wouldn't call a pf raise.

Now, if the SB was playing like a nut, playing most hands and not staying out of pots the BB is most likely to be in, then I MIGHT fold the 66. But in all likelihood here, the SB is tightening up his play and I would be wanting to make a move to put me in position to make the money.

I like to start pushing before my stack reaches 10BB, but that's just me. I think it gives me more fold equity, plus I need chips. SB is going try to keep his position here, and BB is in a great position to start bullying the table by moving in when first to act.

Jan
Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM

No way am I pushing the way these games play. You'll get called by overcards a disgusting amount. Raise to 250 or limp IMO.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 PM

not that it really matters but i pushed and got insta-called from the sb with TT. thats why i posted it here cause i hated my play. makes me believe the sbs range had to be bigger than that, so when inputting into sngpt, i put like 88+ and AJs+ and AJo+ as the calling range. wouldnt have been shocked to see a ATo or a KQs call either.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i ran a push on powertools and it had it at slightly minus ev, i think i had them calling with 88+, AJo+ and AJs+.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're loose. They're calling wider than this. Anyways, a push is +EV with pretty much any reasonable range you put in, including the one you quoted.