Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Buying a new computer - transferring data

I'm set to buy a new computer from Dell. As I was building my computer, Dell offered some software that I could purchase to move my data from the old computer to the new one. Currently, I have an external hard drive which I use for back ups. Do I need to buy this software, or will my new computer be able to just take the info from the external HD as I suspect it will.

I was just planning on reinstalling most of my poker clients, as well as stuff like Poker Tracker. I know that I'll have to ask for a new registration code for PT. Is there anything else I should know?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Buying a new computer - transferring data

If you're planning on reinstalling, there's really not much you'll have to do. Keep in mind that any settings you've changed will have to be rechanged. This means bookmarks, cookies, etc. But there's nothing you can't move yourself. And the software's not going to be all that useful at moving it for you.
-Sam
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Buying a new computer - transferring data

XP comes with the "File and Settings transfer wizard" which works pretty well (and can be installed on your old computer for older versions of Windows back to, I believe, Windows 98). This will also pick up IE favorites, Outlook express address book and email messages, as well as data files. All of these things can be transferred manually, using explorer or command prompt, if you know where they live, but the wizard does make it a little easier. You can use your external HD, or, if your old computer has an ethernet connection, you can buy a crossover cable, and network the two computers. I don't think you really need Dell's software, if it costs more than a few bucks.