Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: something i always do

Good points about image from HEK as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 AM

? It seems really strange to me that succesful high stakes player as you would have a habit of constantly checking the flop when in BB unraised. Surely that must be a leak(?)

Betting EVERY flop as suggested by HEK also seems very easily detectable and exploitable. Maybe something between those two [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] .

I try not to play a certain strength hand the same way every time from the BB, but i tend to check medium strength hands (for pot control) bet strong hands and sometimes bet with air(frequency varying between almost 0% to almost 100% depending on the opponent mostly and somewhat depending on my image and flop texture).
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM

So some percentage of the time, between never and 100%, you will either bet or check?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM

this is very opponent dependent, but generally i bet the flop a lot maybe close to 80%.
in a similiar situation, 1 limper - i limp from sb - bb checks or 1 limper - sb limps - 1 check in bb i will usually bet the flop anytime if i have any pair or any draw, sometimes with air if it comes like K66 or Q42 rainbow.

i think these small pots add up a lot and you get paid more on your monsters like HEK already said.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
? It seems really strange to me that succesful high stakes player as you would have a habit of constantly checking the flop when in BB unraised. Surely that must be a leak(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm sure it's a leak too. keep in mind that i have about 30k online hands in my career and in this situation playing live, this is not a habit of mine i just sort of noticed i was doing it online, so it hasn't been too costly yet.

also worth noting is many seem to thnk i'm giving up when i check the flop. that is far from the case. i take a lot of lines w a lot of hands after i check - but yeah it's probably dumb.

good posts cts and hek.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 PM

I think it's part of your live play coming into online...live you can check a lot of flops and get a good read on your opponent, because you can't do this online, i think it's better to err on the side of betting. For instance online I almost always lead monsters/bluffs/draws, I tend to check/call showdown hands, but this is also based on the aggressive nature of the games...
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM

la,

how did you notice you were doing this? From pokertracker or it just kinda dawned on you?

On another note, folded to you in the SB...do you guys ever just limp in? Is it always raise or fold? What if the BB is 1)super-loose or 2)never raises pre. Maybe I should start another thread on this?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So some percentage of the time, between never and 100%, you will either bet or check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most certainly.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
la,

how did you notice you were doing this? From pokertracker or it just kinda dawned on you?

On another note, folded to you in the SB...do you guys ever just limp in? Is it always raise or fold? What if the BB is 1)super-loose or 2)never raises pre. Maybe I should start another thread on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

reverse
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM

i often play a similar strategy to what cts nicely articulated. i make a number of adjustments based on game conditions, my image, whether my opponents seem to be adjusting, etc. for example, i'll occasionally double barrel with air or check raise bluff to keep my opponents off balance, or not even try to go for such a pot if i think it's more trouble than it's worth. i think failing to steal more than your fair share of small pots is detrimental since you leave a considerable amount on the table and create a table image that makes it harder to get paid off on legitimate hands. in fact, i would go so far as to say that being able to play small pots well is often the critical skill to winning nlhe play.

larger pots usually arise from both players having strong hands or one having a strong draw. in such cases, between good players the same amount of money is usually going in no matter who holds what. of course, i'm generalizing and there are exceptions. still, i think much of one's earn can come from playing small pots well.

note that i'm not saying anything entirely new here. doyle already told the whole world similar things almost thirty years ago in super system.