Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Saban

[ QUOTE ]
I go back to what I stated earlier and what Capone0's post on recruiting brought out....the SEC has too many teams trying to be competitive.

The Pac10 has had SC and UCLA, with a few intermissions of Oregon and Washington in the recent past.
Big10 is Ohio State and Michigan. Wisconsin has made a good run and Penn State shows up every now and then.
BigXII North is Nebraska...with Colorado showing up now and then
BigXII South is Texas and Oklahoma.
ACC has been no one until Florida St and then Miami through expansion. V Tech, and to a much lesser extent, G Tech makes noise.
Big East is too young to see where it will fall out. Syracuse was a power for decades and West Virginia has had some good teams. Louisville is strong of late. (This is one reason I like Rutgers job...there is a power vacuum in both conference power and NJ recruiting).

The SEC simply has more than 2-3 stable teams that believe they can win the title, and for good reason. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, and Auburn all have had undefeated seasons and/or national titles in my lifetime along with 5 year+ stretches of 9+ wins. There isn't a team that is synomonous with SEC football. There are teams. Bama is caught up in the 70s. Their fans haven't readjusted like the Ole Miss fans adjusted to life after Archie Manning's time. It's funny. It's a disease down in the South. I used to laugh at LSU fans devotion and belief that they were a power program before Saban. They had decent teams and memories of Billy Cannon, but were not a figure nationally for quite some time. The SEC is just too stocked.

This is partly the reason I've always thought Penn State's move to the Big10 was a poor decision. Like it or not, it's still Michigan's and Ohio State's conference.

Bama does provide the opportunity, but it is a tough field to plow. Saban did it at LSU, so I can see where he thinks he can do it again. The South is stacked with HS talent, but there are only so many programs it can support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post and thanks for the link.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Michigan being above tOSU and Oregon and Boston College being in the top 15. LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Dennis Franchione did not get the memo that Bama was a top 15 job, hence him taking the Texas A&M gig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently you didn't get the memo that Bama had just been placed under probation and he didn't want to do the time for Dubose's crime. Franchione was a Texas guy and that's where he wanted to be.... Franchione left because he was happier in Texas and his family was to .....
Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Michigan being above tOSU and Oregon and Boston College being in the top 15. LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Dennis Franchione did not get the memo that Bama was a top 15 job, hence him taking the Texas A&M gig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently you didn't get the memo that Bama had just been placed under probation and he didn't want to do the time for Dubose's crime. Franchione was a Texas guy and that's where he wanted to be.... Franchione left because he was happier in Texas and his family was to .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did he leave TCU to coach at Bama when the probation was coming?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when he left TCU for Bama he, nor anyone at UA knew that we were going to be under probabation..... I mean at that point we hadn't even been under possible investigation. All that stuff came to head during the middle of his second season at UA and nobody actually thought the investigations would end up how they did.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when he left TCU for Bama he, nor anyone at UA knew that we were going to be under probabation..... I mean at that point we hadn't even been under possible investigation. All that stuff came to head during the middle of his second season at UA and nobody actually thought the investigations would end up how they did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I don't remember the timeline that well.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I don't remember the timeline that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's alright....... I'm one of the few Bama fan's that doesn't totally despise or hate Franchione for leaving. I don't like the way he left but I think no matter what in life you should do what is best for you family and your own personal happiness. also ex. Rich ROD (did what was right-staying in WV was best for his family and WVU)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 AM

He pretty much has to leave now that he's as much as admitted he's been lying to everyone all along. I know they always lie in this situation, but that's always followed by the coach leaving. I just can't imagine him staying, especially now that it's out there that his wife doesn't like Couth Florida.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM

is there a link to the video of his press conference?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a link to the video of his press conference?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to pull up 790theticket.com (the radio station that carries all the Dolphins games), but it seems to be overloaded.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He pretty much has to leave now that he's as much as admitted he's been lying to everyone all along. I know they always lie in this situation, but that's always followed by the coach leaving. I just can't imagine him staying, especially now that it's out there that his wife doesn't like Couth Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your right.... my stomach is pretty much in nots right now