Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Default raises _every_ hand, cr\'s _every_ flop

So I just got killed. 40 bets in half an hour? I'm in kind of a daze. This player raised 98% of his hands preflop and check-raised 95% of all flops.

I'm sitting here watching this all unfold and thinking it should be easy to exploit...but he didn't miss...ever...he'd cap the flop on a draw and hit it 7 times in our little session.

Anyway, I feel like this is a broad "bad-beat" type post, but I really want some advice when this happens. I know we've all been there. I feel like a coward and an idiot for just getting up and quitting him...but when someone doesn't fold, and always hits, is it better to just move on? I tried waiting it out but it was the sickest run of cards I've seen in a while.

I tried changing speeds and just flat calling a lot, and that worked sometimes. The problem at the end was that it was so easy for him to value bet as I'd call with K high often and win.

At times when I've been on tilt and tried this ridiculously maniac strategy I usually blow through cash quickly...

Anyway...I suppose the obvious answer is just to quit and find a better game, cool down, and stop trying to prove something...
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: raises _every_ hand, cr\'s _every_ flop

Re-evaluate your flop betting standards if he's checkraising 95% of flops. You don't *have* to bet.

However, if your opponent hits 7 draws in a 30 minute session, you're probably going to have trouble winning no matter what strategy you use.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-evaluate your flop betting standards if he's checkraising 95% of flops. You don't *have* to bet.

However, if your opponent hits 7 draws in a 30 minute session, you're probably going to have trouble winning no matter what strategy you use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx Punker. If I didn't have anything I'd often check behind, and when I did i'd get into 3-betting wars...

Anyway, I know my post isn't great or antyhing, just looking for general thoughts from people.

Thx again.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 AM

So he had a good run of cards together with being super aggressive. There are many ways of being the super aggressive one, and if they don't play badly, there's no value in playing against them. They usually win if they know what they are doing as the so-called good players usually become calling stations or then fold too much.

I have put them time after time on an exact style and I still can't beat them by solid play. And when they are running good it leaves one wondering if they have or do not have hands, meaning one should definitely stop.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just got killed. 40 bets in half an hour? I'm in kind of a daze. This player raised 98% of his hands preflop and check-raised 95% of all flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he raised every BT and called-c/r'ed every BB? Or he 3-bet every time you raised on the BT too and capped every time you 3-bet? Big difference. Raising every BT isn't that far off the correct strategy. I raise about 85%. How exploitable the rest of the stuff he's doing is greatly effected by his play on the turn and river. Does he just keep betting? What happens when you 3-bet the flop?

If he keeps betting but stops if you 3-bet, your solution is clear. Slow play to the river unless you want him to fold or want a free card.

If he caps when you 3-bet and generally replies to your aggression with more aggression, marginal hands go to SD cheaply, bad hands go in the muck, and you go to war with good hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here watching this all unfold and thinking it should be easy to exploit...but he didn't miss...ever...he'd cap the flop on a draw and hit it 7 times in our little session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to running bad. I can't help you with this, but I'd suggest that if you catch yourself thinking this way while you play you make a conscious effort to stop. If you can't, it's time to quit.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I feel like this is a broad "bad-beat" type post, but I really want some advice when this happens. I know we've all been there. I feel like a coward and an idiot for just getting up and quitting him...but when someone doesn't fold, and always hits, is it better to just move on? I tried waiting it out but it was the sickest run of cards I've seen in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in an emotional state in which you feel stressed and out of control, you need to quit. No matter how much your stuck and no matter how good the game. When you're under stress, you're decisions are significantly worse.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried changing speeds and just flat calling a lot, and that worked sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling marginal hands is fine, but you can't get into the mind set of fearing his aggression. When you have a good hand, you go with your read, and you push. You either deflect his aggression with passivity or a fold or you induce it with action. You don't raise hand against a maniac when you don't want him to put in another bet.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem at the end was that it was so easy for him to value bet as I'd call with K high often and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes down to knowing your opponent and board awareness. Not every flop is an acceptable flop to take A or K high to SD even against someone that is very agressive. This is even more true if he gives up on his worst hand on the turn or river.

[ QUOTE ]
At times when I've been on tilt and tried this ridiculously maniac strategy I usually blow through cash quickly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Selective, intelligent aggression is the name of any poker game. You know that so there really isn't much more to say.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway...I suppose the obvious answer is just to quit and find a better game, cool down, and stop trying to prove something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's fine to want to play a player to solve the challenge that player represents. The problem is when you lose emotional control and become obsessed with getting revenge or proving that your better ect.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:55 AM

That was a great post.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:25 PM

This is so exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to type it out. I'll be putting this in my favorites.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Yah man, props to Leader, I wish I read this post a week ago =(.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM

open limp sometimes - it will slow him down.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 AM

Ok, this was tl;dr. but if he's that aggro, call call call anything decent