Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Playing mechanically HU

This is crossposted from the HU forum. I wasn't sure where to put it, and I thought that I might get different points of view from the two forums. I apologise if I'm not supposed to do this.

I've started 8 tabling regular SNGs, and sometimes it ends up with 2 or 3 tables HU and relatively deep-stacked at once, with others going. In such circumstances it's hard to get proper reads.

Any tips on playing HU more mechanically instead of having to think hard about every decision when it's not just push-fold?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Playing mechanically HU

Play turbos and Pushbot. This way you have way easier decisions AND you can play a much higher volume of Sng's
Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play turbos and Pushbot. This way you have way easier decisions AND you can play a much higher volume of Sng's

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, but I have my reasons for playing regulars.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM

If you want to play optimally against your opponent you have to play less tourneys so you know your opponents tendencies. PT can only give you so much info. If you want to max your expected rate per hour, pushbot.
i have tried both and have better experiences with pushbotting. It really comes down to the math HU if you play a lot of tourneys. the #'s (wins and losses HU) will even out the more you play IMO.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play optimally against your opponent you have to play less tourneys so you know your opponents tendencies. PT can only give you so much info. If you want to max your expected rate per hour, pushbot.
i have tried both and have better experiences with pushbotting. It really comes down to the math HU if you play a lot of tourneys. the #'s (wins and losses HU) will even out the more you play IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant "pushbot" if its t200 and you have 7 and 6.5k stacks. there is room for non-shoving and "playing poker". unfortunately i cant offer much better advice then to only play the amount of tables in your comfort level. beyond that i rarely have to play this deep HU so its not an issue and mastering pushing is the way to go for turbos. playing freezeout HU matches and live deeper games will help you with deepish stacked HU situations as well. gl
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Sorry. Let me clarify a couple of things.

- I'm talking about relatively deep stacks here, say ~30 BBs. Push/fold doesn't apply.
- I don't want to play turbos. Please don't suggest it.
- I am reasonable at 1-tabling HU, but I find 2 or more gives me problems. I have to think about too many decisions instead of being able to play on autopilot.

And AMT, cutting down on tables is an option. Thing is, it's not really something that comes up so often (wish it did!) or is so big a problem to take a step that cuts down on my winrate like that. Actually, the reason I ask is I intend to start playing more tables and it's something I'll have to deal with more. Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- I don't want to play turbos

[/ QUOTE ]play more turbos
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Don't ever limp. Raise 89o up as well as all aces and suited kings. Q7s etc etc are good for a raise too. All pairs obviously. c-bet all flops when checked to for 60% pot (or however many clicks on the slider is around there).

Playing out of the bb is much tougher because some villains will limp a lot while others will raise a lot. PT stats up until hu should give you at least a hint. My mechanical lines would be to check basically everything vs. limpers then lead for the pot with middle pair and up, stacking off with most top pairs and shutting down with middles to any heat. If flop goes check/check I autobet turn for 60% pot. vs. people that raise a lot, playing push/fold is ok so just work that out based on what you perceive to be his raising frequency and his capability of folding any sort of hand.

I 4-tabled turbo HUs on FT for a while basically using this strategy (except for bb play at early levels) and I was still able to type in all my bets (weird amounts for image).
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Not that it means much, but I'd personally suggest attack first, worry later. It's a 50/50 chance that your hand is better than theirs. Raise a lot. Even if you have a crap hand, people tend to fold to aggression. Combine that with the fact that 2/3 of the time their hand will miss on a flop and you've got incredible bluffing opportunities. Also, top pair is good. Most times, even middle pair is good. As long as you stay aggressive, people will back down. And when they DO play back at you, you can get rid of your hand.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM

Why not practicing and trying new techniques in heads up tournaments?