I am solely a player 62 67.39%
I am primarily a player but also a small affiliate 15 16.30%
I am primarily an affiliate 14 15.22%
none/results 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM

Default stars 3$ rebuy A8o, EP, very shortstacked

Hello all,

1st post here, I have read some posts here , but never posted until now. This is a hand from a stars rebuy I just busted out of. I was totally at a loss here- Blinds had just gone up, my M was very low, but I had been surviving much of the last 1 hour as a shortstack, stealing blinds via pushing when conditions looked favorable. Here I get A8 off, table is playing quite tight, and the Blind are almost on me, and will be a considerable portion of my stack. Risky obviously to push this from EP, but I thought I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes. If I fold, Blinds hit me, and will likely knock me down to an M of 2, if I push A8, everyone knows I am in bad shape, and I am likely to get called. Do I just fold and try to hang in, pretty much crippled now, or push a Marginal ( at best) hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t190567)
BB (t14444)
UTG (t82674)
Hero (t19275)
MP1 (t25362)
MP2 (t91639)
MP3 (t16885)
CO (t98930)
Button (t53972)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t19125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t25212</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (t45387) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t45387) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t45387) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t45387

p.s. money wise, this is after the bubble , with about 300 left (out of starting 2500+)
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: stars 3$ rebuy A8o, EP, very shortstacked

bump
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Seems like you have a lot of the reasoning figured out already. I don't like it, but you have to get moving here.

Don't post results, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 PM

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

I feel like pushing or folding would be ok here (leaning a bit toward pushing). A8 is ok. AT is an easy push. A2 is an easy fold for me. I think since the BB is shorter than you, I like a push.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:52 PM

welcome to the forum.

i think this clearly is a push. strange that so many people voted for fold (almost 50% atm).

you are short. your hand is decent. nobody opened the pot. you read harrington. push!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nobody opened the pot. you read harrington. push!

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the second to act [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like a fold here.. I'd rather push near the button with only a few to act rather than an A8 type of hand UTG... you have a good chance of getting called and barely being a 2:1 favorite, at best...

I was listening to Phil Gordon's podcast, and he made a comment about "your kicker should be greater than the number of players left to act." Kinda good advice, I say...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Fold. If I'm pushing with a short stack UTG+1, I'm looking to have a suited connector or 1 gapper of some sort. There have been too many occations where I push in early possition with an A mid, and get called with an A high. Give me a 60%-40% with some lives if you ask me!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a fold here.. I'd rather push near the button with only a few to act rather than an A8 type of hand UTG... you have a good chance of getting called and barely being a 2:1 favorite, at best...

I was listening to Phil Gordon's podcast, and he made a comment about "your kicker should be greater than the number of players left to act." Kinda good advice, I say...

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should reread HOH 2 pages 240 - 255. i can't imagine that you still wanna fold after doing so.

phil gordons rule is silly. the alternative to rules like this is to think about the game. and the latter surely is the superior way to aproach the game.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should reread HOH 2 pages 240 - 255. i can't imagine that you still wanna fold after doing so.

phil gordons rule is silly. the alternative to rules like this is to think about the game. and the latter surely is the superior way to aproach the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem here is that I am not just short stacked, I am desperately short stacked, since the blinds just increased. If I fold, I am in a world of trouble, with a M of around 2 and virtually no FE. Even with M=3, my FE is low, but a little better. Still with a stack this low, maybe I am just too easy to pick off to be pushing A8- know what I mean? Still, I feel like I really need to make a move, here. It's a really tough spot. thanks for the comments guys- and for the welcome, I appreciate it.