Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Free showdown raise vs a lag

Villain is a 40/20 lag, but seems ok postflop. Im raising any non-ace turn here.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Free showdown raise vs a lag

LAGs are generally showdown monkeys, and a lot will blindly bet. If this is the type that will blindly bet the river, it is clearly better to just call the turn and river, rather than raise the turn, hoping it's the last bet.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM

ughtarded

general hold 'em tip: do not raise if u have the worst hand and are inducing no incorrect folds
Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 PM

i dont really like it here.

while itd be nice to fold out AJ or AQ and if hes a lagtag u mite move him off a 10 or a 9 if he 3bets itd be tough to fold getting 8 to one with a likely 6 outter. that K to me is as as bad of a card as an A really since it hits a ton of his range. I think ur better off just deciding whether to fold or calldown on the turn than going for the free showdown here even tho many of his better hands just call down.

i think whether its worthwhile here depends on whether 1) u can fold to a 3bet 2) if hes likely to fold out some better hands or likely 10 outters based on ur opponent (how ok postflop is he? does he still showdown a ton of hands like most lags, is he calling down with a 10 or a 9 like everytime here vs u?) and the board and 3) whether he ll bet the river with all his worse hands: draws that miss, UI overs ect. if u just call the turn

while i cant really answer the last 2 since i dont know the opponent well enuff, knowing the answer to 1 is that u probably dont wanna get 3bet and fold is enuff for me to not raise here.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Upon further review this seems pretty bad on this turn. Would it be ok if the turn was the 4d or some other rag?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 PM

ehh... i duno, if u get 3bet u really are still getting the odds to see the river if u have 6 outs and taking the line of raising and calling the turn and folding the river UI doesnt appeal much to me. If the turn had blanked and been the 4 of diamonds as well he'd be even less likely not to call the turn raise with a 10 or a 9 so we lose some of the pros of raising in the prior example.

i think ur better off calling down if u think ur hand justifies it here vs this villain (ie hes a lag who will bet any holding again here on the turn like overs no real draw ect) but i really think i need to know more about him. if he ll fire again on the river with a missed draw or overs or ck call AK or AQ hi or something calling is much better than raising here.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM

This play gets worse the closer the villian gets to LAG.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM

How about raising the flop and folding to a 3bet and/or if the BB bets out on the turn?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM

if u raise the flop u should call the 3bet and see the turn
Old 01-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Kind of a WA/WB situation if LAG's pf 3-bet range is not way off. I'd just call down.