Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Should I move onto the Turbos?

I searched and while I found a few topics mentioning turbos vs. regulars those threads really didn't address my question.

I currently play the $5-$10 on PS, playing between 4-8 tables at a time. I am doing well, been winning and would have a higher bankroll now if not for Christmas/bills/etc. Anyways ignoring that, I was wondering if I should move from the regulars to the turbos?

I play a tight game early, begin stealing at the 75-150 level, and "think" I play well on the bubble (although I don't have any tools yet.) Even playing tightly I usually manage to double my stack before the pushfest starts, will switching to turbos take this away from me and cause me to always be shortstacked at bubble time?

I know the ROI is lower, variance is higher, and $/hr can potentially be higher if played correctly.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Should I move onto the Turbos?

I'll let other people answer your questions, but I just wanted to say that my advice would be to try them out and see which you like better. This forum has a noticeable bias towards turbos IMO. There are good and bad points to both.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Should I move onto the Turbos?

[ QUOTE ]
I play a tight game early...and "think" I play well on the bubble

[/ QUOTE ]

that'll do

[ QUOTE ]
Even playing tightly I usually manage to double my stack before the pushfest starts, will switching to turbos take this away from me and cause me to always be shortstacked at bubble time?

[/ QUOTE ]

arguably yes - fewer hands, fewer opportunities = less 'doubling' (thus the increased variance & contributing factor to lower ROI)

[ QUOTE ]
I know the ROI is lower, variance is higher, and $/hr can potentially be higher if played correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. that about covers it.

these threads are locked because there simply isn't anything to add. it's generally accepted around here that your hourly rate will in fact make up for the lessor results. until someone shares results over thousands of tourneys from the two structures at similar buy-ins, all we can do is speculate as to the degree of $differences.

best bet is to simply try them out, see how it suits you. the variance issue alone will keep some playing the slower paced games. nobody knows better than you, your ability to make these adjustments.
Closed Thread