Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Dog breed discussion

That site you linked to is pretty laughable.

I seriously wouldn't recommend getting an italian greyhound. A retired racing greyhound would make a much better apartment dog than an IG. Maybe you should look into a local racing rescue.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That site you linked to is pretty laughable.

I seriously wouldn't recommend getting an italian greyhound. A retired racing greyhound would make a much better apartment dog than an IG. Maybe you should look into a local racing rescue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the same information on other sites. I appreciate the criticism, but you're not really backing it up with an concrete info.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM

I think a lot of people are just going to end up recommending the type of dog they have.

Given your needs there are a few breeds that make sense. A full greyhound would be an excellent choice. They actually need little exercise and are wonderful lap and apartment dogs who don't shed much. Italian greyhounds are fine, but they tend to be fragile and to have the disconcerting habit of trembling constantly.

I would avoid Labs, Goldens, Weimeraners, Jack Russell Terriers etc. They will tend to need a ton of training and exercise and if untrained would all tend to be somewhat destructive if left untended.

A couple of other breeds you might try are Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, maybe an older Beagle, providing the dog isn't prone to excessive baying.

My wife is a dog trainer and my sister is a vet. If you run into questions let me know and I can ask them.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've read the same information on other sites. I appreciate the criticism, but you're not really backing it up with an concrete info.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're really not going to find much concrete information on the internet. Most of the information out there on dogs is poor at best, and complete crap like that site you linked at worst. What sort of concrete information do you need? I'm basing my opinion on years of experience as a professional dog trainer and contact with thousands of dogs and dog owners. Getting an IG is setting yourself up for health problems like patellar luxation, eplilepsy, bone fractures, and tempermant problems such as seperation anxiety, and extreme fear. They are also notoriously diffucult for people to housebreak. Flat out they aren't a good choice for a low maintenance dog.

Go down to your local shelter and find a dog that is 6+ years old. Give it a good home.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I keep thinking about getting a bulldog, they seem pretty well suited to apartment life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm considering bulldogs, but the biggest downside seems to be that they shed a ton. Also, they seem to have a higher probablity of health problems than most dogs. And I've read that some of them have a tendency to fart a lot, which could get annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
and drool and have respiratory problems. But supposedly they're among the best tempered dogs
Old 01-02-2007, 02:57 AM

I would recommend an English Spring Spaniel. They are great dogs (grow to around 40-45 pounds or so -- not sure if that is bigger than what you are looking for or not).

They can be really hyper if not trained correctly though, personally, I have found them to be good, fun dogs, but still tame and reliable as long as you take the time to train them.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 AM

ill echo avoiding a jack russell as an apartment dog. i have a jack russell mix and he is hyper and needs lots of room for his energy. i have a big sized back yard and he runs around for a good part of the day.

he's a great dog--he would just be miserable in an apt.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:03 AM

mutt ftw
Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 AM

my golden sheds like a beast
Old 01-02-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a Weimeranar. They're ridiculously smart, and don't shed, but unfortunately may grow to be larger then what you were looking for.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm for the most part most of the dogs are not smart, they are SUPERRRRRRR hyper and pretty clumsy. Maybe you got a super good one...

We have had:

Weimeranars, Setters, Labs, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rotties, Daucshaunds (sp?) and I just gave my best friend a Great Dane (which ive been with none stop for the last 6 months - shes had alot of "big" dog problems but is a sweetheart). I guess if you wanna know anything about any of them ask...dunno if any of those are what you are looking for. The dobermans were by far my personal favorites for endless reasons but the others had thier positives too minus the Weimeranar - I cant stand them - only decent thing is that they are pretty dogs.

For the most part - greyhounds are very hyper.

The pit I had was awesome for my smaller place, she was a stratfordshire bull terrier (they refer to them as pits), but she was alot smarter and less spastic than my sisters true junkyard looking pit bull. She is amazing and very clean, doesnt shed much at all and not overly hyper. My sisters pit is like a bull in a china shop but super loving, mine is super super affectionate as well minus the bull in the china shop part