Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Stud 8/b low stakes

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0,10/$0,20), Ante $0,02, Bring-In $0,05 (converter)

Seat 1: $8,75
Seat 2: $4,68
Seat 3: $4,33
Hero: $3,64
Seat 5: $4,80
Seat 6: $6,82
Seat 8: $5,92

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.95 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (8.95 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]????
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Players in generality loose
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Stud 8/b low stakes

Get Ray Zee's book. Tens suck in this game. Fold third. Fold fourth. Check fifth. Check sixth and fold if the other guy bets.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:51 AM

Micro Stakes 8/B is like playing WAR for money. Move up a few levels and watch the play change big time... Move up a few more levels and watch it change just as dramatically yet again.

My backbone hands in lower stakes 8/B at a full table are 3 to the bottom, period. Suited, the better. Jointed, the better... But always three to the bottom. *Maybe* a rolled up higher pair if it shows live, but I'll fold 3rd, 4th or 5th to any raise from an over if I don't improve.

I'm not getting excited with 10's- ever- even if my both of my pot-partners appear to be going low. You have no low potential there and your high potential is extremely soft. Check it and hope for some sort of improvement on 7th. If not, adios to any raise.

Remember Todd Brunsons Platinum Rule. I agree with it 100%, particularly when playing against opponents who draw for the angels and never fold (which is pretty much every opponent you will face in microstakes 8/B). Unless you are entering the pot with both high and low potential, you cannot achieve the platinumness.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:14 AM

I understand the temptation to play concealed pairs because it looks like you're going for low instead of high and you can get some bad folds, but tens just aren't a strong enough pair, especially at a no foldem table. What happens is you often end up looking at a bunch of low cards for your opponents and you don't know what to do, you don't know when your high is good, when you're live and when you're dead, etc. In a nutshell you end up making a bunch of bad plays because you have a weak hand and you aren't clairvoyant. There are just too many ways to lose, for instance, you have to be scared shitless of any A that falls on any player's board, you will never know when someone will back into 2 small pair/trips and will call you down to chop against your "low", and most importantly, you will get freerolled a boatload and be put into a bunch of desperate situations against straight draws, trip/boat draws, and any other runner runner cheese. It may not sound like much but all the weak draws add up when you can chase every single one of them.

Once you do play it I like the idea of playing very aggro trying to get it headsup (if you aren't gonna just fold) cause just calling is terrible. HU is the only way you can realistically expect to ever scoop and you are happy just to get 1/2 here. Brick pairs suck in this game ... wired bricks are better than split bricks but are still trouble hands.

I have no idea what Ray Zee says because I have never read his book, but it's recommended time and time again on these boards so it must be pretty decent.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:30 AM

Ray Zee's book is pretty good.
The Johnson/McEvoy/Stern "Championship Stud" book is another good one (particularly for Stud tournament strategies), but it's presently OOP and sells for grossly inflated prices.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 AM

Here's an example from a hand I just played dinking around at 1/2 stud. I have the best possible brick pair/upcard possible, got what I wanted (headsup with the Q), the other guy went fishing and got lucky. Well, actually, I guess I wasn't all that +EV here but no way he can put me on KK here.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.30 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (3.65 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.65 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.65 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (9.65 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $19.30 | Rake $0.75

Hero: [Kc Kd Ah 4d 9h 7d 2h] (HI: a pair of Kings)

Seat 2: [Tc Th Qs 6s 3s Kh Qc] (HI: two pair, Queens and Tens)

</font>

If nothing else it shows what monkeys play 1/2 stud lol.

(edited to show results)
Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 AM

God bless them.
They're who keep us in the chips.

I don't know if I would have bet 6th after he called down that far (definitely check-call to any raise with wrapped kings) and I definitely wouldn't have bet 7th with an unimproved buried overpair, but that has a lot to do with the opponent.

Every time a monkey sucks out on 7th to drag my pot, I simply consider it to be a temporary loan I'm making him using money I've taken from other banana-eaters just like him.

That's DEFINITELY a table I'd stay at.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 AM

Well, he made a couple of rediculous calldowns earlier and got lucky and got half, and I kinda expected him to call down with just queens here. I think the bet on 6th is okay because it represents a low or aces up or aces + low draw and he often has just queens here which a lot of players will fold (which I want)

The bet on 7th is probably bad but I figured he very well might call with just queens, he will almost never raise here, something about check/folding just felt dirty, and I was flat out annoyed [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]