Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Default basic river question

Limit is so different ... this sort of spot seems to come up frequently with me betting UI OOP the whole way against unknowns.

I have AJ in the BB. Assume opponents are ur avg donks.

3 opponents limp, I raise, 2 call & 1 folds

Flop is Kc 5s 2h (7 bets)
I bet, CO folds, Btn calls.

Turn is 4h (4.5 bets)
I bet, Btn calls.

River is 9s (6.5 bets)
Hero?

What's my plan at this point? Should I be looking to bluff off a hand (will anything fold)? Should I just give up c/f? Should I c/c, am I ever snapping off a bluff here?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: basic river question

[ QUOTE ]
this sort of spot seems to come up frequently with me betting UI OOP the whole way against unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

just stop doing it, check fold the river here

lol at the limper who folded. if 3 had called u mite just be able to check fold this flop oop is that a continuation bet guys? with 2 in id cb the flop since u are only investing 1 to win 7 and they ll fold that often anyways.

the flop was drawless really and any hand he folds is a worse hand than urs. any pair he called the flop and turn with is calling the river. i think the interesting part of this hand is the turn decision to fire again (vs an unknown i think its close but i mite just ck fold the turn had it been say a 10) with the 4 falling on the turn giving us a gutter i think some argument could be made for ck calling the turn. sometimes they ll just bluff once with a weak hand they peeled with and ull get to showdown ur A hi some decent amount of the time when its good when he checks behind.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM

I meant that that I find myself betting UI OOP on the flop & turn, not necessarily the river.

[ QUOTE ]
i think the interesting part of this hand is the turn decision to fire again (vs an unknown i think its close but i mite just ck fold the turn had it been say a 10) with the 4 falling on the turn giving us a gutter i think some argument could be made for ck calling the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting idea, but I think I would always bet the T on the turn, since now that puts a lot of pressure on a hand like 75 or 66 on a KT52 board.

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes they ll just bluff once with a weak hand they peeled with and ull get to showdown ur A hi some decent amount of the time when its good when he checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
As for how the hand played, maybe I should've checked this turn, I probably have about 7 outs if I'm behind.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM

I'd c/c against an unknown. You'll rarely fold a better hand (although some worse ones will call) but I don't think you're ahead here enough to justify a bet, particularly with the ragged flop. Some players will try to bluff here if you check.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 PM

I c/f. He knows you raised in an awkward place PF, and quickly called two streets. Unless he's horrible, he has at least a pair, given how dry the flop is, and if he's calling that turn he's nearly always calling the river. If you check and he bets, that pretty much seals that you're behind. I see no reason to continue
Old 01-02-2007, 03:02 AM

I just check fold the turn here.

If he is loose enought to Cold call preflop OTB and peel on a dry board like this you are most likely behind.

You have 10 possible outs which I would cut down to about 6-7 clean outs. The 3 will be good here pretty much 100% of the time and your A Most likely will be good here although you need to worry about hands like A5 or A2 and If the J falls you might already be behind.

So with 6-7 outs you need about 6 or 7:1 to continue.
If you check and he bets you will be getting 5.5:1 and no guarantee of a BB on the river.

The way you played it I check fold the river but I already check folded this on the turn
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 AM

I'd check the turn. We have our gutshot and pair outs, but we would rather take a free card if we can get one. If villain bets the turn I'd probably fold figuring I had 6 outs in the best case. Problem is, if villain had a K you would have expected a flop raise. So that means he probably has some other hand like 77 or A5. I'm sure he checks the turn with a lot of these, so checking the turn could work great when you draw out on the river.

As played I'd check and fold the river cuz all we got is the 2nd nut non pair hand.