Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Are we collectively the richest posters on the net?

I was thinking this the other day... MSNL and HSNL must have collectively the highest average earners of any internet forum on the internet? I'm assuming most people who post here do fairly well, but can anyone think of another internet forum where their posters on average make more money?

Note for mods: i wanted to post this in the zoo, but i'm sure not everyone who reads that makes good money, so it becomes a little irrelevant there.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Are we collectively the richest posters on the net?

wouldn't stock forums or investment banking forums make more?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did think of that, but i was under the impression that most individual investors normally lose in the stock market, plus they must have bigger variance than we do. Normally the winners are the people who spread there money right across say the FTSE 100 in the Uk or the top 100 stocks on dow jones (and slightly weight there stocks on companies they think will have a good year), and even then they don't get a huge return compared to the money invested, plus its very dependent on how the market overall performs.

Disclaimer: i'm not an expert on stocks by any means so the above could be completely wrong
Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did think of that, but i was under the impression that most individual investors normally lose in the stock market, plus they must have bigger variance than we do. Normally the winners are the people who spread there money right across say the FTSE 100 in the Uk or the top 100 stocks on dow jones (and slightly weight there stocks on companies they think will have a good year), and even then they don't get a huge return compared to the money invested, plus its very dependent on how the market overall performs.

Disclaimer: i'm not an expert on stocks by any means so the above could be completely wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about it either, but most individual poker players lose too. But I think there's still more money in that business
Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 AM

I'm pretty sure most investors that care enough to bother frequenting and posting on internet forums make money, just the same as with poker.

There is obviously a lot more money to be made in investing if you're good at it, so...
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 AM

mid and high stakes poker players are rich if you are 18

most people here dont have that much money compared to mega rich 100mil+ kind of people

I doubt many people on these boards have 10mil, most people on these boards probably dont have much outside their 20-30 buyin rolls
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mid and high stakes poker players are rich if you are 18

most people here dont have that much money compared to mega rich 100mil+ kind of people

I doubt many people on these boards have 10mil, most people on these boards probably dont have much outside their 20-30 buyin rolls

[/ QUOTE ]

And what forum do multimillionairs post on?
I'd say "yes" to OP's question, but mostly for HSNL forum, a lot of MSNLrs doesn't have a br bigger than 100k and i would think that average middle aged american/european has that much.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 AM

probably privately run investment forums

or some kind of gold digger personals site
Old 01-01-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure most investors that care enough to bother frequenting and posting on internet forums make money, just the same as with poker.

There is obviously a lot more money to be made in investing if you're good at it, so...

[/ QUOTE ]

this presupposes that investors, as a population, have enough superior available capital per instance to exceed the return of an average winning player.

when looked at from the perspective of return as a function of stakesize and effort and risk, midstakes NL is probably the most abusively profitable legit activity on earth.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Aside from the investment forums that I think would be richer, most posters here haven't been playing nearly long enough to be rich (although our collective hourly rate is probably pretty damned good).