Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Sets on 4-flush board

Same LP villain. In hand 1 he showed top 2 pair no diamond.
I missed a good chance to bust him didn't I?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($42.50)
Hero ($118.3)
SB ($35.50)
BB ($85.75)
UTG ($30.80)
MP ($52.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.50, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
dani_best checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $19</font>, BB calls $19, UTG folds.

Turn: ($51) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($51) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $51
Edit: corrected stack sizes for hero &amp; villain for hand 1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($42.50)
Hero ($151.65)
Button ($35.50)
SB ($122.05)
BB ($30.80)
UTG ($52.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, SB calls $7.

Turn: ($23) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $17</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $36</font>, Hero calls $19.

River: ($95) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $75.05 (All-In)</font>, Hero %^&amp;^&amp;*(&amp;%$#?

I think I made a big mist by not push the turn. I thought I had pot odds to fill up... Could he be making a rare 2-barrel bluff since I've been aggro?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Sets on 4-flush board

They don't have it a lot. That second hand he does have it a lot.

And you HAVE to bet the river in areas like the first hand or else a lot of medium pots will get pushed to your opponent who shows Kx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And you HAVE to bet the river in areas like the first hand or else a lot of medium pots will get pushed to your opponent who shows Kx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. So u don't think his turn check/mini-raise of hand 2 is a bluff, because he follows up w/ a 3/4-pot push?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:42 PM

His turn bet could be a bluff, but his river bet rarely is on a board like that. I don't like pushing the turn, you're only getting called by hands that beat you. I think you played hand 2 well, but have to fold the river.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Explain this. Sounds like this method will end up with a lot of LARGE pots getting pushed to your opponent. Or am I missing something? Is it standard to bluff here? I think villain is the one kicking himself for not betting the river in hand 1.

Hand 2 looks good. Fold river obv. If you were worried about the flush with 3 hearts, 4 should be a no-brainer.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Explain this. Sounds like this method will end up with a lot of LARGE pots getting pushed to your opponent. Or am I missing something? Is it standard to bluff here? I think villain is the one kicking himself for not betting the river in hand 1.

Hand 2 looks good. Fold river obv. If you were worried about the flush with 3 hearts, 4 should be a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's really only one card in the deck that the average SSNL villain is willing to call a large bet with, and that's the Ace of whatever suit the 4 suited board is.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 AM

Fold the river on the second hand. I don't think missing the push on the turn is a big mistake though. I think it is a good option to be used some times, calling is right at times also.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 AM

Hand 1 :
You should consider every bet on the river as a pure bluff. Since you have a set, you have some showdown value. Only a pretty donky villain calls you without a flush. And IMHO only donkey bets here with a set.
If he bets the river in the first hand, i might call a smaller bet. But when i do that, its basically a bluff-catcher and not a "value-call"

Hand 2: raise turn a bit bigger. River is an easy fold. Thats just how things happen sometimes.