Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 04:46 PM

Default .25/.50 A9 flops middle pair multiway

Table is loose and passive. I was unsure how to play this on every street. Preflop I considered raising to isolate but I thought there were too many people in for that. A9 in late position seems good enough to play. I decided to limp in, hoping to flop an Ace with a medium kicker.

I flopped middle pair and would probably have folded to a flop bet unless there were numerous callers and I had pot odds to continue. I considered betting when it was checked to me but I felt I might be behind to a weak K who wouldn't fold, or if I was in the lead it wouldn't hold up for two more cards. So I checked, hoping for a free card to see if I could improve on the turn.

On the turn it was a fairly safe card lower than the nine. Again checked to me so I figured anyone with a king would have bet by now. So I tossed a bet to see what would happen.

On the river its checked to me heads up, but now there's four to a straight. I considered betting here but I figured the only hands that would call are hands that beat me. Also I'd prefer to take a free showdown than to have to fold to a check raise. So I checked behind. Villain had only been at the table for a couple of hands so no reads on him.

Comments on all streets welcomed.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

River: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 12-31-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: .25/.50 A9 flops middle pair multiway

Fold pf. A9o is still too weak. You have to draw the line somewhere and mine is at ATo.

Flop: I would probably bet, but this is most likely a mistake. If you're behind, that K3o hand will most likely bet the turn and you can probably fold with nothing invested. On the other hand, if you bet the turn and others are calling (with weaker hands), they make a bigger mistake than on the flop (if you bet there, they get better odds to draw if you bet again on then turn)

River: bet. If he has the 8, he'll raise in which case you can fold.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:52 PM

I'm usually folding this pre-flop, 3-tabling it's just not worth it. As with every hand, if you aren't comfortable playing the different situations that can come up with it, don't play it pre-flop.

As played, bet the flop, if you get c/r you can let it go or call down depending on your read on the guy who raised you. Bet this river as well.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 PM

My thoughts on pre-flop...
If you're going to play the hand it's raise or fold pre-flop. I think a fold is slightly preferable but I can also support an isolation raise:
a) A9o is not going to play well with more than 3 people; don't let them limp cheaply
b) it discourages button, SB and BB from calling; getting button out buys you the best position
c) it's your best chance to get this heads up against UTG
d) the poster is probably dead money

In any case I'd say fold&gt;raise&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;call
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM

kerowo,

I'd bet the flop as well, but say someone is drawing to a gutshot. Bettin the flop gives him 10:1 or better.
On the turn, he'll again have his 10:1 or close to it.

Checking the flop and betting the turn, he'll not have proper odds.

As I said, I'd bet as well, but I had a few hands where people suggested checking "to induce a greater mistake on the turn."

Why is this not one of those situations?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:58 PM

Fold preflop, bet the flop. Your hand is probably good on the flop, you should bet to protect it from the many overcards that could beat you. Turn is a rag, I would bet that too. Check the river.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM

bet the flop. i don't hate the pf call but i'd usually fold it multitabling.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:28 PM

*grunch*

A9o PF is probably not good enough to play almost ever. This hand is a good example why as you will always be getting medium-strength hands that are tough to play. FWIW, I do like raising better than calling, though - hopefully buys you the button and maybe folds out the blinds.

Flop and turn look right to me. I like your line of reasoning that a weak king wouldn't bet the flop but might bet the turn.

On the river, the question I would ask myself when deciding to bet or check is "will a losing hand call me?" In my mind, the answer is yes - anyone who paired their 9, 6, 5 or whatever might. I would b/f.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the flop gives him infinite odds. That is never a good option. Waiting for the turn only makes sense when deciding between raise and call.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the flop gives him infinite odds. That is never a good option. Waiting for the turn only makes sense when deciding between raise and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This holds for this hand as well, though I agree that OPs hand is drawyer...