Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Pokerstove Question.

Is there a tutorial on pokerstove or a thread on this site or any other than aid in learning how to use the program? Also I'm unfamiliar with the theory around equity that seems to be necessary to understand the results pokerstove provides. Can anyone direct me to a book or a thread to explain equity. I understand pot odds but equity seems to be way more complicated. Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Pokerstove Question.

Equity is the percent of time u win if nobody folds. Its only a starting point for poker theory, because obviously everyone folds. Equity gets "trapped" when someone bets at you, and there's not enough money in the pot to justify calling the bet - so you fold and lose equity - but u made the right decision.

Some cards, like low Pocket pairs multi-way u have a good idea right on the flop if they are going to be good (there equity has less variance on future draws. So everything else equal, their equity is better than the equity of many other possible cards - think of it as the "time value of equity" © u know u have a high chance of winning upfront so you (1) don't fold and (2) can value bet earlier.

So equity = percent of time u win, if your opponents don't fold their hands. But just understand its only the beginning of poker theory.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks D&L. Any answers to my other questions regarding pokerstove?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 AM

You can try his website http://www.pokerstove.com/

For figuring out just how to operate the software, i'd go there, or maybe just tinker around with it. Its pretty intuitive after awhile.

For figuring out how to use equity as a strategic concept...i'd search the forums.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 AM

dl; thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm picking nits here, so I apologize in advance...

Equity is the amount of the pot you will win, on average... not the % of the time you will win.

The differnece comes up when you have a hand where most of the results will be a split pot; in a heads up game, a split pot always means you win 50% of the pot, even though you don't "win" the hand.

In statistical terms, if your hand gives you 70% equity, it means you stand to win, on average, 70% of what's in the pot (if you don't fold). So you "own" 70% of what's in the pot. That's why the financial term "equity" was borrowed - if refers to the ownership interest in the pot.