Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Video: 3/4 tabling NL50

Take these with a grain of salt, I’ve taken a ~2 month break from poker after getting raped for 10 buyins and just returned 4 days ago (doing really well so far though). I’m about 20/15/4.

First, I think you should raise more from the blinds. You’ll be in crap position and so you should charge other players for playing in position vs you. Add like .25 on top of your normal bets. This occurs at 14:30, 15:41, and a bunch of other places.

Also, with table selection, I used to only sit where at least 4 out of 5 opponents had full stacks, but I realize now that it’s not really necessary. Most shorties are complete noobs, so the table ends up consolidating into a couple of fish holding all the money (whereas full stacks tend to be better players on average), so I don’t really mind having 2-3 people with $20-$30. I’d like to hear thoughts on this.

I liked your note taking, I take far less notes now, and I’ve only played 2 tables so far (used to play 4)

4:20 AQo CO facing EP raise, I personally raise/fold here.

10:00 A8o, my guess would be a pair with the way he played the hand, and people don’t like to fold pairs on low boards, so I probably give it up on the turn and don’t contemplate firing. PS 6/8 Fold to Turn Bet is an absolutely meaningless statistic, sample size is too small. You can try pushing him off his PP, but I usually find they call down anyway (if he had a low PP, not Jacks I mean)

11:30 22 BB after Btn raise. I think in that spot I bet out right there and hope I get raised. I’d like to try for a cr if the 2nd limper was behind the raiser (so raiser could c-bet and I could possibly trap the other limper for a call). As played, I think I’d just bet out and hope someone likes their hand. I’d like to hear thoughts on this hand from others though.

13:00 J5s in BB. If board comes deuce, I still don’t fire, you have crap pair and could easily be up against K5o or some crap or a PP.

18:50 56s Btn family pot. I think I might raise this up pf, although CO is a shortie. Limping is fine too though.

20:10 ATo vs UTG raise, I fold every time here.

22:20 A9s BB, UTG raise, 2 callers.
I’d consider dumping it here. You’re really hoping to flop a flush draw, but then you’re in bad position to extract.

23:40, ATo SB, raise CO’s limp, but add more on top

26 T9s CO btn caller. I’d probably c/f that turn, the only hands you’re beating are 8x or 79, the bottom pair paired. I don’t think it’s a good hand to continue with there.

27:30 77 UTG, K92r flop, c-bet there. I think it’s an easy spot, very dry board, he rarely hits that, and your hand is probably still good there.

31:40 T9s CO…wtf? RAISE! Raise T9o there, and as low as T7s

33:00 33 4-straight board. I think by taking too much time you induced a bluff. I’d say a check is fine there.

35 33, I don’t know how to play that with 444 flop OOP. I think there’s a very good chance he just has A-high on the flop, so I think I probably bet turn c/f river. I think checking turn shows a bit too much weakness.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
First, I think you should raise more from the blinds. You’ll be in crap position and so you should charge other players for playing in position vs you. Add like .25 on top of your normal bets. This occurs at 14:30, 15:41, and a bunch of other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about that myself, but wasn't sure if either method was more/less right.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, with table selection, I used to only sit where at least 4 out of 5 opponents had full stacks, but I realize now that it’s not really necessary. Most shorties are complete noobs, so the table ends up consolidating into a couple of fish holding all the money (whereas full stacks tend to be better players on average), so I don’t really mind having 2-3 people with $20-$30. I’d like to hear thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, donks w/ full stacks is the most optimal. I do agree that full buy-ins generally indicate better players. It's pretty annoying to own a donk and only get 60 BB for it. Not too sure which is better WRT table selection though.

[ QUOTE ]

4:20 AQo CO facing EP raise, I personally raise/fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think one of my biggest leaks is cold-calling too much.

What do you think about the A6o raise of a button limp (aside from being too small)?

[ QUOTE ]

10:00 A8o, my guess would be a pair with the way he played the hand, and people don’t like to fold pairs on low boards, so I probably give it up on the turn and don’t contemplate firing. PS 6/8 Fold to Turn Bet is an absolutely meaningless statistic, sample size is too small. You can try pushing him off his PP, but I usually find they call down anyway (if he had a low PP, not Jacks I mean)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I realized the sample was too small, but it's all I had to go by. C-bet is standard though, right?

[ QUOTE ]

11:30 22 BB after Btn raise. I think in that spot I bet out right there and hope I get raised. I’d like to try for a cr if the 2nd limper was behind the raiser (so raiser could c-bet and I could possibly trap the other limper for a call). As played, I think I’d just bet out and hope someone likes their hand. I’d like to hear thoughts on this hand from others though.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to be a spot of controversy. I guess since it's multiway and raised, leading out probably will generate more action than my line.

[ QUOTE ]

22:20 A9s BB, UTG raise, 2 callers.
I’d consider dumping it here. You’re really hoping to flop a flush draw, but then you’re in bad position to extract.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea... I just didn't like folding it in such a big pot with people's seemingly weak hands. I probably bleed money on plays like that.

[ QUOTE ]

26 T9s CO btn caller. I’d probably c/f that turn, the only hands you’re beating are 8x or 79, the bottom pair paired. I don’t think it’s a good hand to continue with there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, seems right on the turn. Do you c-bet here? (Check_the_Nuts just wants to abandon the hand on the flop)

[ QUOTE ]

27:30 77 UTG, K92r flop, c-bet there. I think it’s an easy spot, very dry board, he rarely hits that, and your hand is probably still good there.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's like I was telling myself there's no reason not to c-bet... and then didn't. I do that to myself too much.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Everytime, or sometimes?

[ QUOTE ]

33:00 33 4-straight board. I think by taking too much time you induced a bluff. I’d say a check is fine there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you fold to a push after checking?

So, I seem too:
-raise too little out of the blinds
-play too passively PF in general
-misplay hands post-flop
-yada-yada

After listening to my narration, are there things that you guys can find that seem to be wrong in the way that I think about the game? I seem to be making fundamental errors and am just not sure how to correct them 100%.

BTW, this is sort of meant as a reply to Check_the_Nuts' very well thought-out critique. Very appreciated!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 AM

gds - I kinda half assed my post (I realized later) by not putting in the times and whatnot the hands went down. Should I just go back and do this, then it'll be easier to comment on my comments?

and LOL: I was thinking bastard until I read the end of above post!

whoa whoa whoa: folding T9s when you hit TP against MR. suspicious? I think I liked bet flop/bet turn with this hand. I think he's calling with a FD a lot of the time. I also think he appears to be quite aggro on the turn, and will bet his FD, but this sets up a messy river. The fact last time you cbet him you showed up with nothing and failed to fire a second barrel would lead me to believe he's calling you lighter on the flop, and may possibly do the same on the turn.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:45 AM

oh - considering how often you check/fold, I would definitely be check raising more often to get more value. In your set hand where you bet/folded the river, you need to get a check raise in there. Normally if I've been donk bluffing, semi bluffing, etc., then I would just bet my set and hope to get raised. But I think when you've been checking so often and never bluffing, that you need to check raise to build pots quickly with huge hands somewhere. Otherwise you'll only ever be playing a medium pot OOP....

Its obvious to any hand reader in your last set hand that the river never ever ever helps your hand. The reason is your not seen as being capable of semibluffing a straight draw+pair on two streets...
Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I realized the sample was too small, but it's all I had to go by. C-bet is standard though, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

c-bet is standard, I wouldn't 2nd barrel though. I almost never 2nd barrel, but this really doesn't look like a good time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, seems right on the turn. Do you c-bet here? (Check_the_Nuts just wants to abandon the hand on the flop)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, his line seems better.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's like I was telling myself there's no reason not to c-bet... and then didn't. I do that to myself too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do that too. It kinda seems like the 4th level player in me screams "this is such an obvious c-bet", but very few people are thinking on level 3.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Everytime, or sometimes?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a standard play for me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you fold to a push after checking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really wouldn't expect an unknown to push bluff there often enough. I tend to play pretty straight forward though, and my reads/notes skills kinda suck.

[ QUOTE ]
After listening to my narration, are there things that you guys can find that seem to be wrong in the way that I think about the game? I seem to be making fundamental errors and am just not sure how to correct them 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice anything terribly wrong, aside from those hands I posted, but you pretty much pointed most of them out yourself.

I did notice that you take more notes, and Check_the_Nuts seems to pick out better reads.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:10 AM

I agreed with most of what was said here.

22 hand is a MUST lead think about the relative position. Only an overpair is paying you off and you have a guy trapped between you and the preflop raiser if he has a small overpair you lead he calls and button raises (he may not bet with whiffed overs anyways so just lead) this is way better than c/c and leading the turn.

Folding T9s in the CO with all semi-deep stacks behind you made me cringe. Nice video thanks for sharing it, seems like you understand a lot of your weaknesses and what you need to work on.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Here\'s a 45MB WMV file!

Definitely very appreciative of all the comments so far. Lots to think about.

I did manage to make the video a very manageable 45MB WMV file (800x600 resolution) which can be found at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2F2ZNQ27
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Here\'s a 45MB WMV file!

sort of OT, but I think most videos are too long. Make interesting 10minute videos would probably get more feedback. Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sort of OT, but I think most videos are too long. Make interesting 10minute videos would probably get more feedback. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most CR videos are at least 30 minutes long, same with the pokeravi.com recordings (although the site's gone now), that way you can get a better feel for table conditions. 10 minutes will not be very useful.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(...) 10 minutes will not be very useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. What do you want to see on those 10 minutes? You should post these hands on the forum.

I also made some videos and I am interested how people think I play áll my hands. Maybe there is some major leak I have with a particular set of hands (broadways, sc's, small pp's) or standard situations (cbet in a multiway pot, 2ndbarreling, pushing draws).

I think videos of 30 mins are short enough that people are willing to watch it and long enough to get an little notion how the player plays.