Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Apparently 15 people work in my building (tip question)

What if someone gets their car every day- do they tip $5 each time? Say the garage charges $300/month. $5/day is 150 in tips a month. 50% seems high. What's the convention for this?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM

I think year end tip is the way to go if you get your car often. Only problem with that is your first year and the guys thinking you're a stiff. But after that they know you will tip so all is well.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:47 PM

I live in downtown Toronto. I didn't tip at all. I gave boxes of chocolates to all the staff. I have not heard anyone else tipping the staff at their building. My other relatives who live in condos have not tipped their staff at all. Just bought Holiday presents (wine, chocolate, cookies)

Things must be very different in New York. $50 x 200 units = $10,000 (wow), 400 units = $20,000, thats a lot. And $50 is the average? I am sure some ppl tip more.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Things must be very different in New York. $50 x 200 units = $10,000 (wow), 400 units = $20,000, thats a lot. And $50 is the average? I am sure some ppl tip more.

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY CALL YOU WHEN YOUR FAST FOOD ARRIVES YOU NOOB!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 AM

super
4 fulltime doormen
2 ft handymen
2 ft porters
1 partime handyman & porter [I give them half]

12-13 floors, 11-14 units per floor.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
quids, ByTor, etc:
I think you guys should spend some time in NYC living in a doorman building first before forming your tipping opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy talk, next you'll be saying we have to go to medical school to have an opinion on brain surgery and know the rules of No-Limit Hold 'em before sitting down at a NL$10k table.

Some residents do not tip - older people on a fixed income, new arrivals, empty apts, students, people struggling financially, people who moved out in Oct/Nov obviously, cheap bastards, people who don't tip ever, people who moved in from NC/SC and didn't tip the non-existent doorman there, etc.

Then you have the people who think a proper tip for a guy who opens the door for you every day 300 days a year is $10. They tip more on a $75 dinner, even if that only takes 90 minutes and 3-4 trips from the waiter. Personally, I find that attitude insane. YMMV.

If you have a crappy doorman or super, feel free to give less or stiff them like a bad waiter, but that should be rare.
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Why wouldn't you tip for good service? I like it when service staff goes out of their way to help me, rather than the reverse.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else reading this thread thinking about moving to NYC and becoming a doorman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. These suggested tip amounts are insane for a building with 1000 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your bathroom pipes break or toilet overflows at 2am or or your AC breaks in July, and you have to buzz the super to come fix it [/have him find a 24-hr handyman or plumber] before all your stuff is ruined, do you think response time will be *at all* related to amount you've tipped previously?

Or do you think he treats all tenants equally, whether they tip $200 a year or $0.00?

I mean, they're gonna fix it. Eventually.
But I like it when they get there inside of 5 minutes instead of at 9am. [feel free to change the situation to one where response time of crew affects you more directly.]

$50/yr for a doorman who works 300 days a year, opens the door for you 2-8 times a day is like $1 for every 25 times he opens the door, buzzes people up, hails a taxi, helps with a package, etc.
At a hotel, do people pay more or less than $0.04 to a doorman who opens the door and hails a taxi? {I often take a taxi to work in the early morning.}
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 AM

is it standard to tip? i live in a pretty big building and they passed out some envelopes for the residents to enclose tips in for the holidays...i unhesitatingly threw mine in the trash. i haven't needed or requested maintenance once and i feel that i pay enough in rent to subsidize the staff and the worthless barber shop downstairs that no one ever uses. am i wrong?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM

My building is 20 stories, 180 units condos & apartments. There's 4 doormen, 3 maintenaince guys and a building manager. The condo association sent out a letter in November saying their would be a box in the lobby for the Staff Holiday Fund. It set a guideline of 5% of your monthly rent or 15% of your monthly assesment for condo owner to be divided by the staff.

I gave a little over 15% of my assesment and didn't think twice. For the most part the staff is friendly and efficient.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else reading this thread thinking about moving to NYC and becoming a doorman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. These suggested tip amounts are insane for a building with 1000 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your bathroom pipes break or toilet overflows at 2am or or your AC breaks in July, and you have to buzz the super to come fix it [/have him find a 24-hr handyman or plumber] before all your stuff is ruined, do you think response time will be *at all* related to amount you've tipped previously?

Or do you think he treats all tenants equally, whether they tip $200 a year or $0.00?

I mean, they're gonna fix it. Eventually.
But I like it when they get there inside of 5 minutes instead of at 9am. [feel free to change the situation to one where response time of crew affects you more directly.]

$50/yr for a doorman who works 300 days a year, opens the door for you 2-8 times a day is like $1 for every 25 times he opens the door, buzzes people up, hails a taxi, helps with a package, etc.
At a hotel, do people pay more or less than $0.04 to a doorman who opens the door and hails a taxi? {I often take a taxi to work in the early morning.}

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, I live somewhere where I don't have to tip excessive amounts to get the services I'm already paying for with my rent.

A $50,000 bonus is flat out insane for a guy who opens doors and receives packages. A monkey could do that. How much do you think these people should make per year?