Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Noob Questions for experienced NLHU SNG players

Hi All,

I'm considering giving heads up sit n' gos a whirl, but have some questions that i'm hoping an experienced player can help me with.

1) Any gems of learning material available for heads up play?

I am aware of this forum (obviously), Harrington on Hold'em Vol 2, Cardrunners vids...anything else I should be reading?

2) What is multi-tabling feasability for an experienced heads-up player?

I am used to 6 tabling 6max ring games...I can 2 table HU comfortably, but I tried to 4 table and it went manic, I was basically clueless on all tables, will that come with experience or is 2-3 the optimal for HU play.

3) What would be regarded as a decent long-term win rate at $50 NL HU games?

4) Is there any use in subscribing to sharkscope? I'm aware of it from my sng days, is this a useful tool for players who play predominately HU sit n go's?

5) What would you recommend as a bankroll requirement for a player who doesn't rely on poker income, but takes the game pretty serious and would hate to go broke? 50x buy-in?, 40x?

Sorry, I know these questions are very vauge and basic but if someone could give a new player a feeler for these games I'd be most grateful. I couldn't see anything in the sticky.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Noob Questions for experienced NLHU SNG players

1) twoplustwo heads up forum . As far as i'm concerned there aren't any ground breaking literature on the subject .

2) It's preferable that you don't multitask because it defeats the purpose of playing heads up. In a 9 player sng you can get away with it because most of the time you're folding . This is not the case in heads up .

3)If you can win 60 % of your games at the 50+ levels then you are doing great .

4) Yes sharkscope has its benefits in certain situations but you should realize that no two players play alike . With two terrible players , you still may have to adopt a different strategy in order to beat them .

5)Well for heads up , a 20X buy in is pretty safe if you're profitable enough . There is no one answer because every player has a unique win rate and your bankroll is a function of your win rate, standard deviation and your risk in which you are comfortable being ruined.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 PM

I agree with everything jay_shark said and would just like to add:

I agree that sharkscope has its benefits, but I find it frustrating to use playing at the lower limit heads-up matches ($50 and below), as by the time I type in the players name and figure out if I want to play them or not, someone else has usually sat down and started playing him already.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:02 PM

sharkscope is like taking an IQ test. If you score low u feel like crap about yourself, if you score high u get cocky. think about that.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 AM

2. I usually do one table, but if I take a big lead in one HU SNG or the match has lasted a while and the blinds are huge, I open another table.

3. 58%-60% over 200 matches. 65%+ is domination of HU SNG's.

5. If you hate to go broke, 50. And you must control yourself and not:

-Tilt. Very easy to lose over 5 matches in a row by playing crappy poker. Know when to quit, don't play tired.

-Take a shot at higher limits after a few bad matches to break even. Horrible idea.

-Change how you play. Don't tighten up or play looser. Make your own style for each type of player you encounter in your matches.