Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Mike Tyson Arrested

I especially liked this part

[ QUOTE ]
Arpaio said Tyson was isolated from other prisoners for his own safety while at the county jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Time to give Mike his own radio show on XM or Serious. Let him riff on anything he wants for three hours a day, take phone calls and talk to guests.

Endless possibilities here.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:07 PM

X-factor -

He's a failure as a human being, regardless of what he did in the ring. I wouldn't consider that "kicking a man when he's down." I'd consider it just stating facts. As for relishing the times he was beaten in the ring - what's wrong with not wanting a jerk to be successful?

(I know you weren't responding to me.)
Old 12-30-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X-factor -

He's a failure as a human being, regardless of what he did in the ring. I wouldn't consider that "kicking a man when he's down." I'd consider it just stating facts. As for relishing the times he was beaten in the ring - what's wrong with not wanting a jerk to be successful?

(I know you weren't responding to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an avid boxing fan and I have always liked watching Mike Tyson fight. He is a very likeable guy because of what he did for the sport. He came up from nothing and made his way to the top. He was screwed by Don King and yes he may not be the idea american but he made boxing what it is. Not Ali or anybody like that, Mike Tyson made boxing and thats why I respect him. That doesnt mean I have to agree with what he does outside the ring but what he did in that ring was magic and no one can take that from him.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tyson was the most dominate boxer for a long time and had he not been going through that divorce and such during his fight with Buster Douglas and for that long 10 count that was given to Douglas earlier in the fight we would be singing a different tune today.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically if Buster Douglas wasn't (apparently) given a long ten count Tyson would have won the fight, and as a result he wouldn't have been convicted of rape, wouldn't have acquired a detrimental coke habit, and wouldn't have nibbled on Evander Holyfield's ear? Because that's pretty much what you're saying.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am an avid boxing fan

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

he made boxing what it is. Not Ali or anybody like that, Mike Tyson made boxing

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these two statements must be false.

Yes, Tyson was dominant for a few years, but to say that he "made" boxing what it is asinine. Unless, you mean that he made boxing into the dull remnant of a once great sport, but I can't really credit/blame Tyson for that either.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time to give Mike his own radio show on XM or Serious. Let him riff on anything he wants for three hours a day, take phone calls and talk to guests.

Endless possibilities here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just goes to prove your point...

Mike Tyson Interviews
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tyson is a dangerous, uncontrollable, conflicted, drug addled, stupid idiot but I still like the guy and wish him the best. He was awesome in the ring for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everybody who was old enough to remember when he was the greatest story in boxing in 20 years would concur. He was such a force of nature, and when he was with D'Amato, was impossible to root against.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to work on who you look up to. Tyson is and was always a rotten person. Cus D'amato was able to hold the monster in check for a while, but before and after that he has been nothing but bad.

Many of my favorite moments in boxing were when he was beaten.

Thank you Buster, Evander and Lennox.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense or anything because I have always respected your posts but it says a lot about your character wanting to kick a man when he is down. He made boxing what it was back in the day. Now the heavyweight division is a joke because no one can live up to the legacy Tyson built. Tyson was the most dominate boxer for a long time and had he not been going through that divorce and such during his fight with Buster Douglas and for that long 10 count that was given to Douglas earlier in the fight we would be singing a different tune today.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken. I don't like kicking most people when they are down, but I make an exception for muggers (punched a 70 year old woman in the face and robbed her when he was a kid), rapists, and general psychopaths.

As for his boxing skills, yes he was good, but he never beat anyone that was very good. Douglas was a bit lucky, but Holyfield owned him and Holyfield was a blown up light heavyweight. Lewis totally dominated Tyson. As for excuses, whatever, Tyson wasn't older than either of them and he was always in good physical shape. Divorce as an excuse? That's a laugh. Basically, he fell to pieces on the rare occasions his opponent wasn't scared to death.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tyson was the most dominate boxer for a long time and had he not been going through that divorce and such during his fight with Buster Douglas and for that long 10 count that was given to Douglas earlier in the fight we would be singing a different tune today.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically if Buster Douglas wasn't (apparently) given a long ten count Tyson would have won the fight, and as a result he wouldn't have been convicted of rape, wouldn't have acquired a detrimental coke habit, and wouldn't have nibbled on Evander Holyfield's ear? Because that's pretty much what you're saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

We dont know what would have happened but his career suffered from that loss. Really, it was all downhill from there.