Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Combo Draw that Turns Ugly

Full Tilt .5/1

I've been playing a normal loose aggressive game with a good amt. of raising preflop and some aggression post. Villian in this hand is 22/10 over about 80 hands. I've hit some hands against him and played back a bit at him, seems like he's a pretty solid player. He's always folded when i've had the goods. Anyways, onto the hand.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Qs Js]
Dave Wottle folds
SpringAF folds
Villian raises to $4
Ducchess folds
Mayth folds
Hero calls $3
*** FLOP *** [8h Ts Ks]
Hero checks
SpringAF adds $40
Villian bets $8
Hero raises to $22
Villian calls $14

To this point I thought the hand was pretty standard. I probably shoudl have raised more on the flop, but this is my standard play. Maybe a leak? FWIW, I noramlly don't bet pot on my c-bets are any of my bets in general, they are normallya bout 75-80% of pot size, and so I try and keep my raises similiar to this as well.

*** TURN *** [8h Ts Ks] [Jd]
Hero checks
Villian checks

When he just smoothcalls my craise, I'm instantly worried that he's got a monster that is looking to punish me on the turn. As such, I decide that I will check and decide whether to continue with the hand based on his bet size, what he has left, how much I feel i can extract, etc. Anyways, when he checks i'm sure he's not strong but i'm no longer sure what he has. In reality, I probably need to put villian on a hand range better during the hand itself, but it's something i'm trhing ot improve. Finally, river.

*** RIVER *** [8h Ts Ks Jd] [5s]
Hero bets $30
Villian has 15 seconds left to act
Villian raises to $110
Hero has 15 seconds left to act

i think I've hit a great card on the river, and I'm hoping he'll look me up wiht a hand like AK, AA or maybe AQ that was trying to get cute on the turn, possibly KJ or something of the sort. When he essentially pushes, that nearly takes out his entire range as far as these hands are concerned, with the exception of a badly played AQ or AQs. However, I know that i'm capable of doing this as a bluff if i think the player can lay it down, and i also think it's possible, but not probable, that this can be done for value wiht a lower flush, especially at these stakes. So, I'm getting nearly 2.5-1 on my call here, so I need to be good about 30% of the time, which is probably a lot considering that I have shown ample strenght on the river and been reraised.

So my questions are, what do you guys think about my thought process on this hand? Is preflop an easy fold? Should I have just bet the turn? I think the end result would be the same, but just curious. Finally, is the river a standard fold? standard call? Any input you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and happy holidays!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Combo Draw that Turns Ugly

any input?

sorry... too late to edit the original post. Villian has $154 and i cover
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Nicely played, call the river always. To be honest, I don't even know why you are second guessing yourself.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM

This hand looks fine to me. As far as your river decision, you have a laggy image and the second-nuts. Get it in.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Stacks?

I'm not CRing the flop -- I'm bet/pushing it. Also as played I'm unlikely to check that turn. Depending on stacks I may push. But the situation is an ugly one, arrived at by check-raising the flop. Your equity is now precarious on the turn, but good enough that if you check you'll have to call most bets. You'd be better off going for some FE yourself instead.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't typically use the bet/3bet line very often, especially in a raised pot with only one other player. I think this allows them to get away from a lot of hands that would c-bet. However, I do think there is certainly some merit to this play in this spot. I'll try to experiment with it some and observe the results.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:30 PM

Preflop: nothing wrong with calling here from the bb sometimes.

Flop:I probably play weaker than most 2+2ers here. But this is a monster draw so if you can get him allin on the flop you are going to be the favorite...get as much money in on the flop as possible. Set him up to get him allin when you hit.

Turn:
You've picked up a couple more outs here but only one more card to come. Maybe should keep the pressure on him. A push is not out of the question. He showed weakness on flop. I would probably lead out here. Commit yourself or push him off the pot. You don't want to make a tough decision here if he pops you big.
River:Inst call. You hit the second nuts. Could he have it. Sure, but this is what you were looking for here.