Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Default bankroll

I play 50/1 pot limit omaha. I play very tight, so is there a considered amount of buy ins that I should have? 1st post so flame away.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: bankroll

I have deposited 500 before and played extremely nitty until I got up to about 1300-1500 (it took longer than it should with a proper bankroll, but it was still faster than putting that money in PLO50 and trying to play a normal aggressive style).
Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 PM

If you are playing as your job you should have a big bankroll at least 40 buy ins. If you have a another job then you can get by playing short rolled 10 buy ins or so.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing as your job you should have a big bankroll at least 100 buy ins. If you have a another job then you can get by playing short rolled 50 buy ins or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing as your job you should have a big bankroll at least 100 buy ins. If you have a another job then you can get by playing short rolled 50 buy ins or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a job, "bankroll" is a pretty loose concept. For stakes that are not too large compared to your disposable income, I think an on-line bankroll of 10 buy-ins is plenty. If you lose it, re-deposit. No big deal.

And something many people don't realize: Your risk of ruin is exactly the same if you deposit 50 buy-ins once or 10 buy-ins five times. So if you are willing to re-deposit there is zero advantage to starting with 50 buy-ins compared to 10 buy-ins. Below 10 buy-ins the possible inconvenience of having to frequently re-deposit starts to become a factor.

Paul
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 50/1 pot limit omaha. I play very tight, so is there a considered amount of buy ins that I should have? 1st post so flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This mostly depends on your win rate and standard deviation. What are they at this level?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This mostly depends on your win rate and standard deviation. What are they at this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that BR is inversely proportional to WR and directly proportional to SD^2. So doubling your win rate halves your BR requirements, but doubling your SD quadruples your BR requirements.

Paul
Old 12-30-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Note that BR is inversely proportional to WR and directly proportional to SD^2. So doubling your win rate halves your BR requirements, but doubling your SD quadruples your BR requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but I think it is more helpful to explain it this way: Your average winrate and the variance of that winrate are of course related.

For a sample of "n" hands, an average winrate is calculated.
Then the average of the square of the distance of each data point from the sample mean is calculated. This is variance. Standard deviation (square root of variance) was invented so white people could understand the whole deal.

I personally will take the highest sustainable winrate irregardless of what the variance is.

Has anyone looked at different periods in their PT databases to analyze average winrate and standard deviation. I've just done this a little bit and found something interesting. Times of higher winrates resulted in lower absolute standard deviations, which is contrary to what I've learned -namely that a higher mean usually results in higher variance number.

But of course, as has been pointed out on this board and discussed in great depth in Chen and Ankenman's new book, "The Mathematics of Poker", it is more interesting to look at the ratio of winrate rate to standard deviation.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:15 PM

Let me put my question in a different way. How many buy ins does it take to find out if you're a winning player or should it be how many hands to allow for variance?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me put my question in a different way. How many buy ins does it take to find out if you're a winning player or should it be how many hands to allow for variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends entirely on what your winrate is.

Do you sense a go to loop?

Basically what you are going to have to do is play with an amount of money that you are comfortable losing.

I think you can get a pretty good idea if you are a winning player with 5,000 hands as long as you don't have wicked high variance.