Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Threefold macho raise against threefold donk

Villain is unknown.

Pacific Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 16BB

Obviously, villain likes his hand, but not good enough to 3-bet me. So he could fear a better set, or even a straight. But I was still confident with my top two pair on the river that I fired another bullett there.
Too aggro?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Threefold macho raise against threefold donk

I don't think anyone with a set would NOT 3bet the turn. If you lost this hand, then because he misplayed his monster.

I'm not sure I would raise the river, but I regard this as a leak of mine, not of yours.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 PM

If I read this right and it was 3 handed I think I would have felt ahead too. Even so I probably don't raise the river. I could be wrong though. You probably are winning this on the river 55% of the time three handed. I just don't think I would risk being three bet on the river.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM

"grunch"

I wouldn't have raised on the river but I would definitely call him down. Him betting into you on the river after runner blanks tells you that he didn't want to give you the chance to check behind him if he checked again. That means he isn't afraid of anything you have so just call there and take your lumps.

I'm assuming he won the hand but the only hands he could have where his play was correct was if he had AT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or T9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] because trips and straights would have had to protect against the flush draw.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:29 PM

played fine on every street, nh.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"grunch"

I'm assuming he won the hand but the only hands he could have where his play was correct was if he had AT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or T9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] because trips and straights would have had to protect against the flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were him with a straight then you need to 3-bet it somewhere. Not because of anything to do with protection, but for value! The straight+FD hands you mentioned have so much equity that you have to get in more money.

I like the river raise, I think he may have top pair or a lower two-pair. A set is very unlikely and would have probably raised PF and 3-bet the turn. A straight also would have 3-bet the turn.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 PM

*grunch*

I think a set or a straight would have three-bet the turn. I like the way you played this.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 AM

*grunch*

I think you played it fine. In a 3-handed game, top two is going to be good plenty of times here. SB could have a weaker 2 pair, or maybe just a pair with some sort of draw. I think a set 3-bets you somewhere here (turn most likely), so I'm fine with raising the river.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, villain likes his hand, but not good enough to 3-bet me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or he's afraid that three-betting will telegraph to you that you're beat and you'll check/fold the next street. Donks have silly thought processes.

In my experience, a triple-donk is bad news, so I'm just calling the river. Had I known that Villain was only going to call the raise and not three-bet, then obviously I'd raise, but we don't know this, do we?