Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Opening All In With Low M.

Once I am approximately at M=6 or lower, I pretty much open all in when I have a hand I want to play. Are there situations where with an M of 6 or lower, you guys will simply limp or make a normal sized raise? How about when your M is low but not so bad in relation to stacks larger than yours but who still have fairly low Ms? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Opening All In With Low M.

Once I am at or below 5 I only have two moves, AI and fold. M=6, I may be able to open raise with the right table dynamics, if 3xBB has been showing to have sufficient FE, then I may open for that or limp a monster at very agressive table. But for a generic answer......push.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 PM

With a very low M you do not want to limp. Any raise other then all in will alert any observant player that you are holding a monster.

If you get a call they will know that you hold a premium hand (AA,KK) and will be able to fold if they don't hit their hand.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 PM

A follow up question I wish I'd asked is this: Assuming you had legitimate hands each time, would you push 4 times in a row on a final table of 5 players where you started with M-4 but your uncalled pushes got you to around M-8.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a very low M you do not want to limp. Any raise other then all in will alert any observant player that you are holding a monster.

If you get a call they will know that you hold a premium hand (AA,KK) and will be able to fold if they don't hit their hand.

[/ QUOTE ] This is why I specified a very aggro table. I guess I should have been more specific, as in seeing button/blinds try to bully limpers, ect. Default answer is still push without VERY good reads.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A follow up question I wish I'd asked is this: Assuming you had legitimate hands each time, would you push 4 times in a row on a final table of 5 players where you started with M-4 but your uncalled pushes got you to around M-8.

[/ QUOTE ] In a heartbeat as long as hand #4 is one that I don't mind getting action. Someone will eventually "take a stand".
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 AM

I agree with canvas. I would still push here.

[/ QUOTE ] This is why I specified a very aggro table. I guess I should have been more specific, as in seeing button/blinds try to bully limpers, ect. Default answer is still push without VERY good reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you were to get re-raised here it would be the same as open pushing unless you were to get limpers. However, any observant player would only call/raise with either a premium hand, SC, or a small PP with the hope of catching something.

A limp from early position could be +EV at lower stakes where the players tend to be less observant/good.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 AM

Would pocket 10s UTG be the kind of hand you push with on the 4th time wanting action?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 AM

I would push 88-AA or AK-AJ.