Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: A capitalist\'s dilemma

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem, as a good Christian, with keeping everybody on the payroll, and even hiring off the streets brothers and sisters who are in need of a helping hand.

[/ QUOTE ] Instead of stating what you would do in theory. Do it in reality, hire these people you claim you would. Lead by example. Then post a trip report.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem, as a good Christian, with keeping everybody on the payroll, and even hiring off the streets brothers and sisters who are in need of a helping hand.

[/ QUOTE ] Instead of stating what you would do in theory. Do it in reality, hire these people you claim you would. Lead by example. Then post a trip report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, how dare he speak in hypotheticals on an internet message board!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Mickey has the knowledge and vision to help unproductive people and yet refuses to do so? Doesn't that make him even more evil than the capitalist?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Mickey has the knowledge and vision to help unproductive people and yet refuses to do so? Doesn't that make him even more evil than the capitalist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that or God-like.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either that or God-like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that God isn't in a dilemma, nor does he say one thing and do another.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either that or God-like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that God isn't in a dilemma, nor does he say one thing and do another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the post to which my post was a reply? It had nothing to do with what you are saying.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the big picture, for a company to employ people who are not needed is detrimental to the ecomony as a whole.

If the layoff is really good capitalism, then the layoff is beneficial to the economy as a whole. To refuse the layoff will only help your own employees at the expense of the rest of society. That would be unChristian I would think.

The only way keeping these employees would not be harmful to the economy would be if you could get productive use out of their time, in which case it would be good capitalism as well.

The only issue I see is that you personally may know these employees, and they're closer to home.

But, unless you're going to pay them with your own money, employing unneeded workers would be theft. Which is definitely unChristian.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, unless you're going to pay them with your own money, employing unneeded workers would be theft. Which is definitely unChristian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point which should resolve any dilemma, or at least switch it to a discussion on whether it's ok to steal from the rich to give to the working class.

For me it's a no brainer because "Thou shalt not steal" is pretty clear. If there were another one like "Thou shalt not stop offering employment" then I'd be a bit confused, but fortunately that's not the case.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just suggesting that you not usurp the rights of one group of people in an effort to help another group. To me, no one has a right to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]Alright, thanks. So, between the group that has only its labor to offer and the group that has the capital, I must side with --which group, again?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I simply love this.

Seriously, you will be doing everyone a disservice in the long run if you keep unproductive employees on merely out of pity.

[/ QUOTE ]Girl, you're not paying attention. I already explained that these are not lazy bums I'm talking about, but hard working (though expendable) human beings. The company is already profitable. We're making good money. Way above yer awld T-bills. It's just that my shareholders rightly demand that we catch up with the money the leader of our competitors is making. To do this, at least for the next couple of years, I only have to fire a bunch of otherwise hard working (but expendable) employees and close down some productive (but not champion productive) plants.

I guess the question is what is Jesus Christ (and not just Milton Friedman) tells us to do with those who are not champions?

Mickey Brausch