Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Couple newb questions about opening an online brokerage account.

a couple books ive read recently that dont pertain to only the stock market, and are pretty decent general advice books on investing type stuff are rich dad poor dad, the automatica millionaire, and the millionaire mind/the millionaire next door. rich dad poor dad was an easy read and very well rounded book. kiyosaki writes well and explains some very good ideas in detail. automatic millionaire took about 2 hours to complete, and is a good quick read for an airplane ride or something. the millionaire next door/millionaire mind are very similar, and both very boring, but theres good info on why and how to be a better nit.

as far as stock market books, ive read riminiscences of a stock operator, which i thought was fantastic, though it doesnt really give you particular advice, it breaks down how the system works, and even though it was written in like, the early 1900s, a lot of the advice rings true even today. market wizards was a really interesting book as it had perspectives from a lot of diff ppl. i enjoyed it.

also, how to make money in stocks, one of the books on your list, is so far the single most importand book ive read if you want to simply learn the fundamentals and how things work. be forewarned.. its a lot like a textbook, lots of graphs, stuff like that, but a very important read.

in all seriousness, i recommend staying away from the day trading type stuff. do a bit of research and pick a few diff mutual funds to play around with for now, and hold off on doing any of the short term stuff until you have done a ton of research. hurry up and get caught up on all this ish so we can start discussing stuff. durr is useless in this regard. holla
Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM

oh, also, get set up with vanguard online. i set up accounts with etrade as well as fidelity, but all my money immediately found its way to vanguard for various reasons. pretty much everyone i have talked to on the subject has said the same thing. holla
Old 12-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Yeah as far as the short-term end I am not as concerned about right now as well, but researching every day is how I'm gonna get in and out on time and learn the fastest. I'm a slow reader so it will take me a while to get through these books but will do. I'll definately try some of the ones you recommended too.

Not going to give myself monetary discretion until after PCA and at least 1 or 2 books. Will try to get a vanguard account setup and see what that is all about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]