Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: My Guess And Some Comments

[ QUOTE ]
Shot Put- 10,000,000. Perhaps there is a flukey exception out there. I don't want to meet her.

[/ QUOTE ]

DSPOTD
Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact that top female tennis pros train with men ranked worse than 300 and get smoked in straight sets. I would say the best woman would maybe be 400-500.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A man would destroy women in tennis. Your decent country club pro would destroy the top women. Sex change is an old idea, Amelie Mauresmo.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know the men and women ran the same course in the Olympics. I also think it's a fair assumption that all (or a great majority) of the world's top marathoners were competing in that marathon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the first, I think it's true as well, but the second assumption is bad. In all track and field events, they restrict the number from each country so the field is nowhere near all the top people. A better measure of this would be the major marathons:

NY:
Marilson Gomes dos Santos (29) PDAN, BRA time: 2:09:58.
Jelena Prokopcuka (30) NIKE, LAT time: 2:25:05

Her ranking was 32 overall. In 2004, she finished 24th overall with 2:24.

Boston:
Top dude: Robert Cheruiyot 2:07:14
Top Woman: Rita Jeptoo - 2:23:38
Her rank: 24 (note that spots 24,25,26 were all women of the top 50 9 were women)

London:
Top guy: Felix Limo - 2:06:39
Top gal: Deena Kastor - 2:19:37
Her spot: 28th overall. Next highest is 34th - 37th.

Chicago:
male: Robert Cheruiyot - 2:07:35
female: Berhane Adere - 2:20:42
her place overall: 47 (48 was other woman in top 50)

Berlin:
male: Haile Gebrselassie - 2:05:56
female: Gete Wami - 2:21:34
her spot: 16.

These are the top so the top marathoners in the world will run one or more of them. There isn't a ton of overlap, it's not normal to run all 5 of these, but there is some. The top females finish about 2:20 (it's going to vary a lot by course), which is about 5:30 per mile pace. If you put all the top people in a race just guessing the amount of overlap it looks like it would be 80-100.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 PM

YOu can't just use the big marathoners since if you are a 2:17 male marathoner, you can either run the big marahons and get zero dollars or run the second teir ones and make 5k dollars.

If you just look at the yearly lists (track and field news has them), a woman will show up around 80 or so depending on the year. Courses differ a bit so this is an exact comparision.

The real number is a lot worse since there are a bunch of 5/10/half marathoners who didn't race a marathon but who could beat the best woman if it was worth their time. Around 200 would be my initial guess
Old 12-29-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jennie Finch would still be the best softball pitcher if men were allowed to compete. No MLB pitcher trains their arm in this manner.

Hitting, it would not be close. The men would be substantially better and the women would need to wear protective gear at all positions to avoid death or great bodily harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much defeated the first paragraph's statement by stating your second paragraph. Finch's ERA against pro baseball players' hitting would be around 284.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong for a lot of reasons.

Finch has pitched against MLB players before and done very well. Check out #5 at this link.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 AM

Anybody Ever heard of "The King and his court"?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:20 PM

How about BOWLING?

How about BILLIARDS or SNOOKER?

How about DARTS?

How about POKER?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jennie Finch would still be the best softball pitcher if men were allowed to compete. No MLB pitcher trains their arm in this manner.

Hitting, it would not be close. The men would be substantially better and the women would need to wear protective gear at all positions to avoid death or great bodily harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much defeated the first paragraph's statement by stating your second paragraph. Finch's ERA against pro baseball players' hitting would be around 284.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong for a lot of reasons.

Finch has pitched against MLB players before and done very well. Check out #5 at this link.

[/ QUOTE ]

give them a little time to adjust to the different motion and pitches and they would probably bat around the same as they do today since the say the reaction time is comparable to what it is in the MLB today.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody Ever heard of "The King and his court"?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, that brings me back. I saw Eddie Feigner pitch -- 35 or 40 years ago. Unfortunately, it was one of the team's rare losses to, if I remember correctly, a Woman's softball team.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 AM

As far as I know the men and women ran the same course in the Olympics. I also think it's a fair assumption that all (or a great majority) of the world's top marathoners were competing in that marathon. So I think it's pretty fair to say that in a unisex ranking of marathon runners the top woman would be somewhere around 60th place.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a fair assumption to assume the world's best marathoners compete in the Olympics. Most of the top marathoners are from Kenya. I am guessing only 2-4 people per country are alllowed in each event, even if the top 50 in the world happened to be from that country.

You would likely be better off researching New York and Boston marathon results.

I think there is a good chance there are 100s of men in Kenya alone that are better than the world's fastest female marathoner.

Peace,

KennyBanya