Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: 99 UTG against unknown BB

This hand should never go to the showdown. You either get out now (which isn't a wrong play by any means), take it now (which I would sacrifice two small bets to try and do), or get enough info with your raise to take it on the turn or get out on the turn.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh I'd just fold. Having called down in this situation about 49374 times I can attest to the fact that they always have a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you, and what have you done with Shillx?

I frequently raise this flop because in my experience villain is FAR from certain to have the king. I've had villains fold to the flop raise itself.

If he 3-bets/leads the turn it's an easy fold. If he checks, I'm about 50/50 to bet/fold or check through and call a river bet. I probably call the river the first time, partly because I have a decent chance of winning (including the times I'll induce the bluff), and partly because having a read on the guy immediately to your left IS quite valuable.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do we pick up the blinds fairly often from this spot (utg) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience you pick this pot up at a tight table fairly frequently. I don't have an exact number though.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand should never go to the showdown. You either get out now (which isn't a wrong play by any means), take it now (which I would sacrifice two small bets to try and do), or get enough info with your raise to take it on the turn or get out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is this guy bet/folding in this spot? Taking it right now seems like a REALLY low percentage of the time.

My point was that this is definitely not a raise or fold spot.

Seems like we can't come to an agreement on what the standard play against an unknown is.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meh I'd just fold. Having called down in this situation about 49374 times I can attest to the fact that they always have a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you, and what have you done with Shillx?

I frequently raise this flop because in my experience villain is FAR from certain to have the king. I've had villains fold to the flop raise itself.

If he 3-bets/leads the turn it's an easy fold. If he checks, I'm about 50/50 to bet/fold or check through and call a river bet. I probably call the river the first time, partly because I have a decent chance of winning (including the times I'll induce the bluff), and partly because having a read on the guy immediately to your left IS quite valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently just fold on these flops also. The flop donk is typically 1) K 2) spade draw. In case 1 we're screwed really badly, in 2 we're not ahead by much, as he likely has 11 outs at least (1 over for 3, and 8 remaining spades).

Keep in mind a weak Kx is VERY likely to call your raise and call down your "value" bets. He isn't 3betting/leading turn very often, and you're just throwing money at him.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 PM

thread what was the game name i think i remember seeing this flop
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thread what was the game name i think i remember seeing this flop

[/ QUOTE ]
"Castle Wall"
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind a weak Kx is VERY likely to call your raise and call down your "value" bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand you have position. From the point where he calls your raise you don't have to bet the turn. You're getting to see the turn and river for 1 BB (your flop raise), and can make a decision on whether to call a river bet (which weak-ass villains with weak-ass kings sometimes don't even make).
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 AM

Too many of you are taking the wrong approach to this game. Raising is only better then calling if your opponent will re-raise or fold. How often is this going to happen?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Too many of you are taking the wrong approach to this game. Raising is only better then calling if your opponent will re-raise or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??

You don't think spending 1/2 more BB is worth getting to see two more cards, AND possibly getting a free showdown with a reasonable yet marginal hand?

Edit: and reads keep getting deprecated...