Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Default PC - WW2 Strategy Game Needed

Are there any good WW2 Strategy games out there?

I cant find any and when I want to play a war strategy game I still throw in my 1997 "A Bridge to Far". I want a real-time strategy war game that doesnt play like a RTS. I dont want to build bases or gather resources or any crap like that. I just want to fight like you can in "A Bridge to Far". Unfortunately, BTF is highly dated now and I have played it 1000 times. So, I need something new. Sadly, I just dont think they make that kind of game anymore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: PC - WW2 Strategy Game Needed

Although Company of Heroes is an RTS, there is very little base building or resource collecting. It lets you almost entirely concentrate on troop movements. Resources are earned based on the sections of the map that you control not how much gold you can mine. Its probably the most intense RTS I've ever played and I hate RTS games.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM

COH sounds right up your alley
Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Third vote for COH, it's a really amazing game. Probably the best PC release this year.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:29 PM

The Combat Mission series, while turn based, is supposed to be a pretty hardcore WW2 tactical wargame.

Amazon
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM

Defo COH
Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Third vote for COH, it's a really amazing game. Probably the best PC release this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I am going to go get it tomorrow. I did some research and it looks exactly like what I am looking for. I Googled "Company of Heroes versus Close Combat" and came across:

"While the ads for Company of Heroes make the game appear as an FPS, it feels a great deal like the early beginnings of the classic strategy series Close Combat"

So, it looks like it will fit the style I am looking for. I have my fingers crossed because I have been disappointed before as nothing has come close to Close Combat. Heck, even with the 10 year old graphics I would still recommend that game.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:08 AM

Well I'm a bit too late, but I'm not an RTS fan, and Company of Heroes is an amazing game.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Stop!!!! Get the demo first!!!!

I too am an old Close Combat fan but this game is not the same! I was very disappointed in the demo, it IS A RESOURCE RTS! Armoured units have hit points, a Sherman takes 2 OR MORE HITS from a 88!

It is a resource RTS (capture control points for fuel, ammo, command), whoever is quicker wins, no real strategy. It is very pretty though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

This is no where near the same as CC aside from the WWII theme. in CC I could win a game if I was down to 1 or 2 units with strategic positioning because the enemy had a LIMITED number of infantry and I had a machine gun nest in a strategic point to keep them at bay, in this game you can call in whatever you want granted you have the "resource".

Sorry about my passionate response but this is not any different from any other RTS out sad to say [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2006, 09:44 PM

Hearts of Iron II is what you're looking for.

But are you smart enough to play this game??