Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Default hey guys, two firefox questions

On Tuesday I finally switched to firefox from IE6 & IE7 and I love it. But there are a couple lingering things I can't figure out; thanks very much for any ideas.

Issue #1--address bar doesn't autocomplete my favorites

I have a couple thousand links favorited ("bookmarked" in FF) and that's pretty much how I get around the internet. I have them arranged according to a keyword kingdom-phylum-class-order-etc system so in IE I only need to type a word or two into the address bar (or most often a partial word) and then the exact dozen links I'm looking for drop down in an alphabetized list. The menu was fluid and adjusted in real-time as I typed.

Both FF and IE drop down these autocomplete menus with my history and cached files, but only IE also incorporates all my favorites into the drop down menu.

I found a FF add-on here that looked helpful, but it didn't fix the problem: yes some bookmarks started showing up in the autocomplete drop down but they were incomplete and disorganized.

Issue #2--depressing copy-paste problems (specifically within gmail)

maybe a year ago in IE I figured out how to paste images into gmail and embed them within the actual text--I am pretty pathetic at tech stuff so when I figured this out I felt like Vasco da Gama. And indeed I use it all the time; it's easy: you just have to 1)host the image at imageshack; 2)rightclick copy the hosted image; and 3)paste the image into your gmail message while you're in rich-text mode.

But it doesn't work anymore, though I don't think the problem has to do with how firefox and gmail are interacting. I don't know what the problem is, but here are two clues

clue one: If I am in IE7, I can upload an image in imageshack and then rightclick copy it...and THEN I can switch over to Firefox/gmail and paste into a rich-text message and it works fine. It only doesn't work when I initially copy the image within Firefox/imageshack.

clue two: Let's say I'm copying a table from excel into gmail. So in excel I highlight the table, copy, then paste it into rich-text gmail. If I am in IE6 or IE7 this works perfectly and when I paste the table it retains all its snazzy colors and formatting. But, if I copy it from excel and then go to firefox/rich-text gmail, it only pastes the data--yes the data stay in rows and columns but all the colors and formatting are lost in transition.

help please?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: hey guys, two firefox questions

[ QUOTE ]
Issue #2--depressing copy-paste problems (specifically within gmail)

maybe a year ago in IE I figured out how to paste images into gmail and embed them within the actual text

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this in a quick google search: Flock-to-Gmail inline image trick. It seems to use both Flock and Flikr, but I guess it gets the job done.
-Sam