Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 03:09 AM

Default Fancy Office Chairs

So I've been hemming and hawing over getting a reasonable office chair for my desk for awhile now. Since I know a lot of you have good stuff, I thought I'd ask what you guys think.

Yes, I already searched the archives. Office chair technology is rapidly advancing, so time for a new thread.

I'm not really willing to spend 3k or whatever on a chair so the Relax the Back chair is out.

I think it's down to the famous Herman Miller Aeron and the Steelcase Leap.

I liked the minimalist look of the Steelcase Think, but it's not that great. All the positive comments are from tree huggers on the web because it's nearly 100% recyclable (I think the Leap is, too).

The Humanscale Freedom is decent w/ the headrest, but the armrests don't adjust.

Help me decide or tell me what kind of milk crate you sit on at work. Mine is a cheapo $50 Fry's Electronics deal I bought on sale after Turkey Day. It has lumbar support and sucks donkeys.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Fancy Office Chairs

I bought the Aeron and I think there are better chairs out there. It has become uncomfortable over time.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought the Aeron and I think there are better chairs out there. It has become uncomfortable over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I've heard that particular complaint about the Aeron somewhere. I haven't had enough time in that chair, but that's definitely good to know. Some people seem to adore this chair.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:33 AM

http://www.relaxtheback.com/lifeform...t-6370243-1901
Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Humanscale Freedom is decent w/ the headrest, but the armrests don't adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Freedom chair and the armrests do indeed adjust.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Freedom chair and the armrests do indeed adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm just too stupid. So I'll put this one in contention, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2006, 04:26 AM

I have the steelcase leap and i love it. i tried sitting in the aeron and freedom chairs but the leap was clearly the most comfortable for me. i think the best idea is to just sit in all the chairs and see what you like. if you can't do that, i think the leap is the closest to a normal style of chair (but really great) and therefore the one you are least likely to regret buying.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 AM

I have the Aeron and it's not as good as I remembered it before buying. It's way better than my old chair though so I'm not sure if it was worth the money or not. Considering that I spend 14-15 hours a day in it I guess it is.

My specific complaints:
*It doesn't go up high enough, which is a problem since I'm tall and my desk is high.
*The back support on mine didn't go on properly so I never used it (or got it replaced).
Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 PM

The Steelcase Leap is my fav so far, but Tyler Durden said I should keep the Humanscale Freedom in mind.

Since I believe the Relax the Back stores carry this chair, I'll go take a longer gander at it (as well as tease myself with the super chairs). I only had a couple mins on it because the store I went into to look at it was closed when I got in.

It would be nice to have a headrest, but I think I can live without it. The Leap v2 has a higher back, so maybe that makes up for it.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:53 PM

I owned a Freedom, I hated it. The back doesn't lock, which is cool at first but extremely annoying after a while. The "advanced arm-rests" are worthless (too small and uncomfortable) for using a mouse with your elbow pivoted on the armrest. The headrest didn't do anything to make it more comfortable either.

I'm switching back to an aeron, the last one I had was the wrong size for my body, but it was still far better than the freedom.