Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Stud 8 book thoughts...

Hi gang,

A few months ago I sent out some copies of the draft of my stud 8 book. For those who read it, I'd love to hear feedback.

Unfortunately, myself and a fellow poker author I know had our books suspended by Pi Yee Press. The owner, Mr. Wong, was nice about it, but said due to the legislation and the poker boom bubble bursting at the time, he couldn't see our books making a proft. C'est la vie.

As for now, I continue to play when I can, and write regular articles for pokermagazine.com and pokertv.com, and as most of you know I'm studying to be a Catholic priest; I'm currently a deacon and will be ordianed a priest in May. Kind of a strange bird I guess, but I like to write and love poker as a hobby and really take the game seriously, so decided to write on the game. I'm a big believer in this book becuase it's much better than my first text, and goes into more detail and I think it can find a home. I made changes per the two-plus-two group's suggestions, and Dr. Dreyer did a bang-up job on the math too which I think will help players. On the bright side, Mr. Wong edited my book, and freed me up to shop it around, which I'm currently doing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book for those of you who have read it. It's currently an e-book, and I really think fills a gap in the poker book market. Hopefully it'll find a home. Thanks for your suggestions in the writing process.

Regards,
Paul Kammen
Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Stud 8 book thoughts...

Hi paul, I think it wasnt a bad text although some sections were iffy if I recall correctly, some of it was certainly good advice for new stud8 players.

I think the main problem is simply the customer base, how many people will buy a pure stud 8 book?

There is already Ray Zees' split pot poker covering stud8 and omaha8, I just see you having a hard time getting enough coverage for the book to make it financial viable.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:29 AM

you have a link...i wouldnt mind reading it if i got some free time
Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 AM

Have you thought about publishing it yourself?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 AM

>>I think the main problem is simply the customer base, how many people will buy a pure stud 8 book?

That's a good point, and while the Zee book is good, I still felt there could be a book solely on stud 8 for new players and the low-stakes player like myself. So many approach the game like regular stud, and lose money in the process. I also go into more detail on the game in this book than I did in my first text, and feel the odds info will help players. Hopefully it'll find a home; hold 'em is king, but the stud 8 tables are always going strong on Stars.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Hi Paul,

I purchased your e-book a few months back and found it an excellent read. I have the Ray Zee book and consider it to be watered down compared to your book. I play strictly Stud 8 and have recommended your e-book to others I play with. I think the one thing that stands out in your book over Zee's is the play of big pairs which is a huge mistake of Stud players moving into split Stud. You've made it very clear that extreme caution needs to be used when playing big pairs and there is nothing wrong with incorporating a strategy where a person discards big pairs. Of course the odds were a nice touch as well. The only complaint I have is that it's only available as an e-book. You've mentioned having draft copies in your post. Do you have hard copies available? I would love a copy for reference purposes versus referring to my pc screen. I also enjoyed your Stud 8 articles in Full Tilt Magazine. Good job Paul!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your nice words - glad you found it helpful. I am trying to find a home for it and have some possibilities, but for now it's just an e-book. I'd be happy to send you an updated PDF that has been further edited if you'd like. I'm glad you found the odds charts helpful too.

Regards,
Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 PM

That would be great Paul. I've just sent you an e-mail. Sure hope somebody is smart enough to publish your book. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Hi Paul,

I found your e-book via Google. How many pages is it?