Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 AM

Default Home: ($???) Three hands and out.

I play in a local poker league. The games are 10player NL hold'em SnGs with a starting stack of t5,500 blinds start out at 200/400. Early I play tight and as other players are put out I open a bit. I play a bit too tight to protect myself from what happened tonight. First hand I am dealt AK in early position, I raise to t800 (in these games a raise builds pots, a large raise seems to embolden those with non premium hands to call) and collect a small pot with a flop bet. Second hand, I am UTG and look and see AA. I raise to t800 and it is folded to the bb who decides to raise me t600. The dealer spends a great amount of time telling this obvious beginer that he can only raise in multiples of t800. I see that the BB is not pretending ignorance but that he is a functioning moron and nothing more. My stomach churns. I reraise him another t800 which of course he calls. The flop is low unconnected cards. He checks I bet t1600 and he calls. The turn is a Q and he checks, I bet t1600 and he calls. All through the hand to this point I feel I am ahead. The river is a K, he checks and I check fearing the KQ which he held in his hand exclaiming something about knowing that K was coming. On the third hand I am dealt AQ suited and I push from the BB reaching into my pocket for the car keys, but hand three belongs in the beats area.

About hand two, AA. I think I would play it that way again. My plan was to get one or more players commited to playing the hand and then to charge them to draw and folding/checking down if things seemed to turn bad. Was this played correctly? I now question my play. I am afraid that I might "adjust" to these calling stations in the wrong way. I know that I limp way more than I should and know that this is an "adjustment" I have made as a reaction to the sting of being drawn out on and not being able to buy the little aces and kings.

I am a recreationial player and would never play poker for income or suplemental income. I want to win though. We don't have time in a tourney to wait for all the numbers to even out over 500,000 hands. I want to get value from AA. In a SnG, early, how should I think of that process. I really do not want to push or assume that a check is a strong hand and fold.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Three hands and out.

Variance...

anyway, just push after his re-raise...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 AM

Guys around here suck at story problems.

Pleeeeeeeease present these hands similar to those found around you. Home games are fine, estimations of stacks often does the trick. But take the time to lay it out as follows:

UTG (t5000)
UTG+1 (t5000)
MP1 (t5000)
Hero (t5000)
MP3 (t5000)
CO (t5000)
BTN (t5000)
SB (t5000)
BB (t5000)

Dealt to Hero A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop:
3 folds, Hero raises to t-whatever, 4 folds, BB reraises to t-whatever, Hero does something......and so on.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot= t-whatever)
Hero doessomething, BB doessomethingelse, Hero ????

...something along those lines.

Be sure NOT TO SHOW RESULTS - they.do.not.matter. Cease the hand at the point of - or just prior to your last action. Sharing of negative results will get you shipped to BBV...despite an honest attempt at trying to solicit strategy advice.

Do share reads.

Running commentary usually isn't necessary.

Do share buyin in the thread title (Home: $100 AA early)

Do share payout structure (winner take all, 50-30-20, etc.)

This kind of stuff will get you the best results. Much more useful for you and the forum at large than the "tl;dr" stuff.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 AM

Ps. Your structure is horrid. 13 starting BB's is rediculous. Open shove PF or fold will do. I would talk to your boys about introducing something better. Visit the "Home Poker" forum. They bat around the best structures and what not quite often.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 AM

Wow, Blue. There is a place in heaven for you I'm sure.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 AM

with your structure you should not limp or raise anything. push or fold preflop.