Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 05:13 AM

Default results

villain went into the tank, started muttering, "what could you possibly have that you'd play that way?...99/88?...the river didn't make your hand...no flush on board...if you have pocket 4s that'd be so sick...A5s?..."

eventually someone called clock. after the floor announced, "15 seconds left," villain reluctantly called...with the other KK. chop-chop.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]

villain went into the tank, started muttering, "what could you possibly have that you'd play that way?...99/88?...the river didn't make your hand...no flush on board...if you have pocket 4s that'd be so sick...A5s?..."

eventually someone called clock. after the floor announced, "15 seconds left," villain reluctantly called...with the other KK. chop-chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if we want to get results-oriented, Villain calls with KK -- he's not folding AA, eh? If you want to include results in our analysis, then this was not a good move.

EDIT: And a pretty freaking sick result.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM

Villain called THIS TIME with KK. Some other day maybe he folds KK/AA and yet another day maybe he calls QQ/JJ. I basically agree with Mike's thinking 100% FWIW. Often you're ahead, and some of that time you'll get called. Some of the time you're behind or tied, but those times he has AA the vast majority of the time and he'll fold it often enough for the river c/r to be +EV. Very rarely will he have a hand with which he's beating you and calling 100% of the time.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 AM

mike, im a huge fan of making river bluffs with hands that have a ton of showdown value just in case he has me beat. It seems to work better live and against thinking players, but this should be a good time to use it. I like it.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:40 PM

you coulda taken this pot down if u showed agg that made him think u could hold AA EARLIER
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you coulda taken this pot down if u showed agg that made him think u could hold AA EARLIER

[/ QUOTE ]

we arent trying to rep AA.

Mike, I stand by my last post but I also want to say this [censored] only works in theory as they always seem to call despite for [censored] strong your line looks as the results indicate. In reality everyone is a station and im sitting there amazed how they called off.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: bellagio 10-20: really weird line with KK

I would have re-raised to $400 pre-flop to find out if villian has AA. But if I played it your way, I would have only called the river. Why risk the extra $1,800? What's the chances of him havin exactly QQ? you know he doesn't have JJ or 1010 b/c he wouldn't have raised pre-flop. Good Luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In reality everyone is a station

[/ QUOTE ]
tru dat. i include myself in that as well.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 PM

I like defining my hand preflop or on flop to determine where villain is. My overall strategy is to determine from the beginning how strong my opponent is. The obvious advantage to this is being able to risk less later when the action really heats up. Would this opponent have called a re-raise pre? If yes, kings are the same as deuces when compared to aces.

You let him control the entire hand. If that was your intent you succeeded. Personally, I want to take control with a monster(in this case kings pre) and then determine from his actions and the pressure you apply what his holding may be.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Seems as though you put all of your money at risk when a good to great player would know exactly where you were in the hand. I never like risking that much money when the only way I get called is with a better hand. In this case, same hand would be best case scenario for you.
If you had "made a move" earlier you represent the aces and he is much more likely to fold and you win entire pot.

I must admit, however, someone would have had to call a clock on me also b/c my head would have been spinning. Very good play, however, I just keep thinking the only hands you "should" get called with are better hands.