Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Pot Odds - How much to bet to make it wrong to call?

i understand when its my turn to call a bet i need the correct pot odds to call etc, but what if i want to make it wrong for my opponent to call when i suspect he is on a draw?
eg. Size of pot is $100, i want to bet an amount to make it wrong for my opponent to draw to his flush (9 outs) for the turn card only? if i bet 1/4 of the pot is this correct? im giving him 5-1 (please correct me if im wrong), so say he calls then the pot would be $150 and the turn didnt help his flush, so now how much? i am confused, ive downloaded several charts and searched but to no avail. thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds - How much to bet to make it wrong to call?

In most simple terms, a flush draw has just over 4:1 odds on both the turn and the river separately and 2:1 together.

So technically, a 1/3 pot size bet on the flop will give just under the right odds for villain to call.

However, there are many other factors to consider. If you have one of those flush cards in your hand his odds are less. Also he may have a pair with his draw so he may have other outs. This will relate to the strength of your own hand. He also may have some backdoor draws. You also have to figure what implied odds you may be giving him. Are you going to call a big bet on the river if you think he hit his flush? As well, some of his outs may help your hand like making a full house in which case you will beat his flush. So as you can see, there is a lot to contemplate when sizing your NL bet. The size of your two stacks relative to the pot is another factor. There are also all the psychological factors like your table image and the type of player that villain is.

In NL holdem bets of 1/4 or 1/3 of the pot are usually probe bets and will give odds for most hands to call if they have any type of draw. When I have a good hand and there are two flush or straight cards on the flop, I bet around 3/4 to full pot on the flop.

Using odds to call and bet is fairly easy when it involves allins or in Limit holdem but in deep stack NL holdem it is a lot more complicated than charts.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM

thank you very much for your time and effort Pants, im not experienced enough to read opponents hands, but i understand what youre saying. basically, if i have a good hand and i want to defend it i must make the villain pay for his draw (if he has one), and take it from there, if the third suited card falls as you say, do i call a bit bet? and that all depends on other circumstances again as you described, i suppose its down to experience really?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand when its my turn to call a bet i need the correct pot odds to call etc, but what if i want to make it wrong for my opponent to call when i suspect he is on a draw?
eg. Size of pot is $100, i want to bet an amount to make it wrong for my opponent to draw to his flush (9 outs) for the turn card only? if i bet 1/4 of the pot is this correct? im giving him 5-1 (please correct me if im wrong), so say he calls then the pot would be $150 and the turn didnt help his flush, so now how much? i am confused, ive downloaded several charts and searched but to no avail. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half pot bet offers 3:1
Full pot bet offers 2:1

Flush draw is 4:1 on next card
Straight draw is 5:1 on next card
Flush draw + pair is 2:1 on next card
Flush draw + gutshot is 3:1 on next card
Flush draw + open ended is 2:1 on next card

Usually, you want to bet between half the pot and the whole pot on the flop.

The reason you don't bet more than the pot to drive the draws out is that you want them to call, unlike limit. You make money in no limit when the draws chase by calling too big of a bet and missing.

When the turn is a blank, follow up with another barrel of at least half the pot (ie 3:1). THe reason you have to fire another barrel is that a flush draw is 1.86:1 to hit with 2 to come. If you just bet the flop, and their call freezes you on the turn, they now paid ~2.5:1 on the flop on a 1.86:1 shot.

By the way, the reason people will bets offering 2.5:1 on a 4:1 draw is that they think they can make more money when the draw hits. Implied odds.

So, when their draw hits, don't pay them off. Take their implied odds away.