Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Default a little bit tiltish

At Majestic Star II in Gary, Indiana Saturday night, at the only $5/$10 limit HE table running that night... The game is a little regular-heavy and on the tight side, and so some silly strategy discussion is happening off and on, as one expects at these type of games. (This room spreads $3/$6, so most $5/$10 players fancy themselves clueful.)

A middle-aged lady regular in the one seat is heads-up against a younger guy in the six (?) seat. The lady has been pounding the whole way. By the river, the board has plenty of big cards but is pretty uncoordinated; the young guy shows down something like second pair with a strong kicker, and the lady mucks angrily.

Then, the fun begins.

Six Seat: (quietly) That looked a little bit tiltish.
One Seat: What did you say?
Six Seat: Nothing.
One Seat: Tell me what you said.
Six Seat: Nothing. I'm sorry. It's not important.
One Seat: (angrily) Somebody tell me what he said.
Dealer: He said that seemed a little tiltish.
Me: (quietly, from the ten seat) If you're getting involved, you should call the floor.
Six Seat: I'm sorry; I didn't mean anything by it.
One Seat: You're out of line! [Some kind of vague threat to call the floor; I didn't catch it, because I was actually looking around for the floor man.]
Six Seat: Please, ma'am. I apologized.
One Seat: [More vague threats.]

Now, certainly Six Seat gets the Hee-Haw Award for needling somebody for paying him off. But,
<ul type="square">[*] Did Six Seat actually do anything against the rules? In other words, could calling the floor have even been meaningful?[*] Could I have accomplished anything by speaking up? I'm inclined to STFU unless somebody's threatened or the rules of the game are violated.[*] Should the dealer have said anything? I mean, what Six Seat said isn't an exposed card that needs to be shown to everyone.[/list]
Old 12-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: a little bit tiltish

[ QUOTE ]
Did Six Seat actually do anything against the rules? In other words, could calling the floor have even been meaningful?

[/ QUOTE ]

While 6's comment was a little impolite (and -EV) I don't see what rule it could have violated. Unless this dispute continues in a way that interferes with peace or the continuation of play at the table, a floor call is unnecessary. If I were an uninvolved player at the table, I would be annoyed if somebody chose to call the floor on account of this, as doing so would delay the game.

[ QUOTE ]
Could I have accomplished anything by speaking up? I'm inclined to STFU unless somebody's threatened or the rules of the game are violated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's a reason for uninvolved players to involve themselves here.

[ QUOTE ]
Should the dealer have said anything? I mean, what Six Seat said isn't an exposed card that needs to be shown to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

If "tell me what he said" was directed at the dealer, I think it's fine that he responded. He may have thought Seat 1 had imagined Seat 6 had said something worse. However, I don't think the dealer's involvement necessitates the floor's involvement, as you suggest.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ][*] Should the dealer have said anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if he ever for the rest of his life wants to get a tip from the player in seat six.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 PM

For some reason you seemed anxious to get the floor involved, which only turns it into a bigger deal. You (and everybody else) should just STFU. You all sound miserable.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason you seemed anxious to get the floor involved, which only turns it into a bigger deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I was anxious for everything to blow over. But, I was of the opinion that the dealer should either not be involved at all, or involve the floor. Specifically, I didn't see how any good could come of the dealer getting involved by himself, other than maybe trying to get everyone calmed down and clammed up, but I might be wrong.

That's what I was asking about: what role, if any, is typical for dealers and floorpersons in squabbles like this where no one is being threatening per se? I don't know, and I like to be well informed.

[ QUOTE ]
[Everyone] should STFU. You all sound miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]
To their credit (and my amazement), no one made a peep except me and one other guy; and I only whispered to the dealer, and the other guy just said something to the effect of, "Hey, let's just play the next hand."
Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM

That's cool.

Personally, when childish antics like this occur I just get up and take a walk and hope that everything simmers down by the time I get back.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's cool.

Personally, when childish antics like this occur I just get up and take a walk and hope that everything simmers down by the time I get back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. I don't like to miss a free show. I'm always looking around for another player in the know at the table with that look of, "Sweet, this game just got better."

As far as the floor being called. That's just stupid. I see no reason to involve anybody. There's nothing to resolve.