Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Stars $3-$6 - Psier just check JAMMED me on river

Reviewing my new year resolutions, i see that 'post more hands to 2+2' was near the top of the list, so i figure while there is still time....

Villain is psier, i have him as a 20/15 guy over about 500 hands and i am positive that he is a winning player. I would prefer not to play on the same table as him, but you gotta play against some guys like him (ie winners). I don't remember ever playing a big pot against him and subsequent review of my database confirms this. He has just recently joined the table so aside from his stats, he won't have much of a read on me; my stats are broadly similar to his. Up until the river this is a fairly unremarkable hand, but how many of you call here holding the nut flush on a (river) paired board?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($591)
UTG ($847.55)
MP ($295.20)
CO ($113.40)
Hero ($1251.85)
SB ($671.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $12, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($39) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15, BB calls $15.

Turn: ($84) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $48</font>, BB calls $48, MP folds.

River: ($180) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $516</font>, Hero ???
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Stars $3-$6 - Psier just check JAMMED me on river

Seems like an odd line from him if he's full (check-calling 4 handed on this flop is unusual from a flopped set in most cases).. I don't like your turn bet size honestly and I think would have defined the hand much better if it was in the pot range.. how tricky is he? Would he often check the nuts on the river? Something seems odd.. I think I would call here more than fold.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 AM

I'd bet more on the turn and ... hummm ... odd spot on the river really. The only hand that seems to make sense is something like A2s. It's hard to imagine a set being played like this, or a lower flush. But, with MP in the hand until after villian's call on the turn it really can't be any kind of float surely. And a brave play where villian has a hand but thinks yours is better after your river bet but not good enough to call a push is a bit optimistic to hope for. You can't even hope he had a draw for something much as you have Ks. Not sure what I'd do really, maybe fold like a big girl's blouse unless I was in a bad mood and then I'd probably donk off my chips.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 AM

Wow, strange hand.
No idea what to do. It seems close.
Whatever he has he played it in a very tricky way unless its A2 of clubs.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your turn bet size honestly and I think would have defined the hand much better if it was in the pot range..

[/ QUOTE ]

Defining your hand is not a good thing to do.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your turn bet size honestly and I think would have defined the hand much better if it was in the pot range..

[/ QUOTE ]

Defining your hand is not a good thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

&gt;the&lt; hand and &gt;your&lt; hand are two different things..

More thoughts;

1 - it would allow you to check behind on a read more clearly and not trap yourself (while still building the pot better on the turn with the nuts)

2 - may force villain to define his hand on 4th street (with bigger action/less odds/bigger pot), which allows for better decision making (there is a decent range that could pot the turn including air..) by hero there or 5th street
Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM

It could also be AA,but i think with 2 Pair or set he would raise turn probabley would have raised flop.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 PM

This is a really tough hand. Realistically, the only hands that fit villain's action that have you beat would be Ac2c, Ah2h, maybe 3h2h? and possibly 77. That's not a lot of hands.
He could have a lower flush possibly, but I don't think it would be too low since your action looks a lot like you hit your flush. So basically, I think he knows there is a very good chance you have the flush, and I doubt that he's trying to get you to lay it down.
So if we rule out bluffs, the only hands we beat would be lower flushes, and I just can't see him c/r the river with a hand like 65s.

I guess it should be a fold, but I doubt that I could fold it in the heat of the moment.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Your betting/line is so weak that i think it's an ez call.

hes not gonna c/c with a set on this flop. i think he has a lower flush than you.

ask youself if psier c/cs this flop w/ 32 or 72 on this flop? no i dont think so. the only hand youd have to worry about is maybe A2 but again i think hed probably lead this flop.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:49 PM

strange hand but what most people here dont get is: some players dont play predictable.
just because you wouldnt check-call with a set on this flop doesnt mean they wont. ive seen stranger plays happen.
a big river check-raise is hardly a bluff at this limit, so unless hes a known bluffer what can he have? i doubt anyone plays a lower flush this way, i would lean towards folding - but interesting hand though.