Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 03:11 AM

Default overplayed?

6 handed 20/40 game at the Reno Peppermill (5 bet cap) on Christmas Eve

preflop:
utg folds
UTG+1 (good TAG, aggro preflop, later raised with 48s, so definitely not ABC TAG, have not seen him out of line postflop) open raises...
Hero calls in cutoff with QJs (suits irrelevant)... my image is TAG tourist... only played a few hands and won every showdown...
Button (lagtard, calls raises w/ 57o, raises any 2, but has not 3 bet yet...) 3 bets...
sb/bb fold, utg+1 and hero calls...
(pot: 10.5 SB)

flop: QJx rainbow
utg+1 and hero check
button bets
utg+1 calls
hero check raises
button 3 bets
utg+1 4 bets
hero instantly 5 bet caps
everyone calls, the button openly asks for a K
(pot: 12.75 BB)

turn: K
utg+1 bets in raiser
hero/button calls
(pot: 15.75 BB)

river: T
utg+1/hero check, button enthusiastically bets
utg+1 calls, hero lays down enormous pot
(pot: 17.75 BB)

what do you guys think about the play on every street?
i definitely would not laydown the hand online in this enormous pot, but i suspect i was in 3rd place...

what would you do if utg+1 respects your game?
i think utg+1 respects my game because after the pot, he said i should know what he had because he knew what i had... his hand became more obvious later when i saw him play more...

Hands in white:
<font color="white">
UTG+1: QQ
Hero: QJs
Button: AA
</font>
Old 12-27-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: overplayed?

[ QUOTE ]
6 handed 20/40 game at the Reno Peppermill (5 bet cap) on Christmas Eve

[/ QUOTE ]

This has all sorts of exciting implications. But putting that aside . . .

I think I'd probably raise pre-flop in general, but a lot will depend on how long you've been there and perceptions (both yours and others'). Flop seems fine to me. Turn also seems fine, though this may depend a bit on texture again -- with a three-broadway straight on the board after the prior action and EP leading into your 5-bet cap on the flop, I think you're behind and conceivably drawing even slimer than the 4 outs you think you might have. I thihk you have to fold river for one bet from EP with button to act behind you -- I think you need to lay this down online, too, provided you don't have an "erratic idiot" read on your opponents -- the turn hurts your chances considerably; the river pretty much kills you except in remarkable circumstances.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 AM

button qualified for "erratic idiot"...
Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
button qualified for "erratic idiot"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - sorry, should have been clearer. With the seeming erratic idiot behind you and EP's play throughout the hand (and your read), I think you should lay down on river and hope the hand shows down. I think you're in trouble on the turn when EP bets into you -- he's betting into two (including the erratic idiot) after your flop action; the turn isn't a helpful card for you and you face a bet having to wonder whether you'll see a river for only one bet. I think you're toast on the river -- mostly based on pre-flop hands expected from EP and button's continued presence. At that point a lonely A has you beat, and EP almost certainly beats your two-pair after he calls.

I don't have a whole lot of live poker experience, but I'd be pretty comfortable laying this down online (and would readily lay down live based on my experience and my generalized view of live play).

Also, just saw that you posted the results -- you should probably refrain from doing so in hands you'd like advice on so as to exclude the possibility that others respond based on knowledge of the results (as you should be prepared to only show action through a specific street if you have questions on your play prior to the river / SD).