Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Playing v. a Lone PF Raise - quote from adanthar - discuss please

In this thread Wherein, I miss my set and fold, adanthar states:

[ QUOTE ]
There are two places where a reraise is always the goods: nitty full ring games infested by 15/7's, and early on in multis against people that play 20 of them at once. They don't reraise tens, usually don't reraise jacks, and frequently call with AK/QQ. it's a perfectly fine way to play if you know its limitations, but very few people that play that way understand those limitations well. I wanted to get something like this discussion going in the last thread . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to start a discussion on what (more importantly why) people generally do when:
1. Faced with a single PF raise
2. Have position on villain
3. Effective stacks are 50/100/or more BBs (take your pick)
4. Players behind Hero are not short stacked
5. and we either don't have much of a read on villain, or know that villain is at least has a reasonable, but not supertight, PF raising range.

[ QUOTE ]
early on in multis against people that play 20 of them at once. They don't reraise tens, usually don't reraise jacks, and frequently call with AK/QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit, this is generally how I play early in MTTs. I usually reraise JJ+, sometimes TT, call with AK at least half the time. I also call with many other hands, depending on stack sizes. Lower pairs obv., suited connectors, etc.

I think this is probably fine in the lower buyin MTTs, but what about the nightly $160 or the Sunday Million?

What are the limitations, alluded to by adanthar, of this style of PF play?

I know I am asking some very broad, it depends, questions, but feel free to fill in some blanks (buyin level, villain type of LAG, mr. tighty, etc., other factors), and tell me why/how I could do better in this very common PF spot.

Be good,

Augie
Old 12-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Playing v. a Lone PF Raise - quote from adanthar - discuss please

I play 20+ and my PF 3betting range early is redic wide.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 PM

Shaun - as a relatively new player and poster, how do you play that many MTT's at once and still manage to read the players at the table?

I would just welcome advice on that topic please. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Bump for Shaun or anyone else who can provide advice on this point please. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Early in a MTT, I generally don't reraise without QQ+ actually unless the villain in question has been overly aggressive. Playing TT, JJ, and QQ post flop can kinda suck against an aggressive player and an all-unders board. But that's why you don't re-raise. Keep the pot a little smaller, so you can raise his c-bet in that situation and see what's goin' on. If you meet lots of resistance, you can re-evaluate from there.

If you call preflop and get a re-raise behind you, I'd fold all these weaker pairs unless I had great odds to call for set value.

--TFGoose
Old 12-27-2006, 04:23 PM

I don't play the big buy in tournaments (I currently donk it up in $10 and $5, moving up soon I hope!), so take this FWIW. If I am in MP with a strong hand, I play fairly exploitably. I re-raise w/ AK, QQ-AA. JJ and lower I usually flat call, as I figure I don't mind the action because I can play for set value if mroe people come in behind me.

If I am on the button or in the blinds I almost never re-pop if the original raise was more than a min bet, even with AA.

Part of this probably has to do with the stakes I play at, where getting paid off is easier than bluffing, so it's easier to mix up my play through slow playing than over representing certain hands. Also, mixing up my play is relativity useless if most players aren't paying attention. Along those lines I also do stupid things like raise 5x from EP with AA or KK because I know players will call light. That is HUGELY exploitable, but since they don't seem to be paying attention . . .

At any rate, the truth is I hardly ever re-raise PF. The only reasons I ever re-raise is if I feel villain is loose and will call a huge bet light or if I am worried about people coming in behind me. I've often wondered if my lack of re-raising PF is a hole or just a different style of play. I'll be interested in following this discussion.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM

Jeff, reraise with aa about 100 % of the time, funnny bubble situations notwithstanding.

What if you have a maniac with 22 utg? what about KK? Arnt you doing them a social favour by allowing them to reraise?

I remember a quote in kill phill, that went something like, if you raise to at least 15% of your stack pf, there is NOTHING a player with a lower pair can do profitably, even if u flipped your cards over

Not rr is a massive hole. There is a funny post with a million replies about not moving in with aa with tourneys recently
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM

I 3bet very light because of how much of their range they fold. When they call/4bet their hand is face up 90% of the time and I can play perfect poker postflop
Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not rr is a massive hole.

[/ QUOTE ]I really doubt this. It might be a hole, but if it is it isn't massive. As long as I can get it HU with my bullets the pot tends to be the same either way I play it, or at least that has been my experience.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff, reraise with aa about 100 % of the time, funnny bubble situations notwithstanding.

What if you have a maniac with 22 utg? what about KK? Arnt you doing them a social favour by allowing them to reraise?

I remember a quote in kill phill, that went something like, if you raise to at least 15% of your stack pf, there is NOTHING a player with a lower pair can do profitably, even if u flipped your cards over

Not rr is a massive hole. There is a funny post with a million replies about not moving in with aa with tourneys recently

[/ QUOTE ]

If you rr(or any specific action) any specific hand 100% of the time you're losing value and your game will tend to be more exploitable. There are several situations where it can be more profitable to flat call pf with aces then it will be to rr, outside of satellites and some miscellaneous situations its never a mistake to rr, but I think there are a bunch of spots that you can play way more profitably than just saying "I have aces I must rr" Its certainly not a "big hole" to not rr 100%