Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: happiness and whatnot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nlsoldier was reading some book about happiness, and he mentioned that the worst years of a marriage are while children are in the home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
so no babies in your future?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe i looove babies and they love me, but i dunno..most miserable years in my marriage? maybe i'll just volunteer at a hospital or the church nursery to get my baby-fix :/

the only problem is that i have all these cute baby names picked out and i'm going to have to use them on fish or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your biological clock will start ticking and you'll want to have kids. If you don't have them, you'll feel as though you wasted your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

i kind of hate when people make comments like this. Or like If you dont have kids, you'll never know true happiness. And maybe that is true for some people, but some people just are NOT kid people. I love kids and they love me. But I dont want them. If my proverbial clock starts ticking I'll adopt an older foster child. I feel there are too many kids in the world already, I have depression and have struck a fine balance in my life that bearing a child would completely screw up.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i kind of hate when people make comments like this. Or like If you dont have kids, you'll never know true happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten, this sentence makes it pretty clear that you won't ever know true happiness.

ps. In the wise words of Sisqo, Thong the-thong thong thong!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:42 PM

interesting read but I didn't take much from it...

basically past feelings determine today's pleasures?

this is somehow innovative?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 PM

was he reading Stumbling on Happiness?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nlsoldier was reading some book about happiness, and he mentioned that the worst years of a marriage are while children are in the home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
so no babies in your future?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe i looove babies and they love me, but i dunno..most miserable years in my marriage? maybe i'll just volunteer at a hospital or the church nursery to get my baby-fix :/

the only problem is that i have all these cute baby names picked out and i'm going to have to use them on fish or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have your babies Fluffpop, and you can name them whatever you want. Too bad I don't live in San Diego...j/k about wanting to have your babies.

Edited by h_ven 5 mins later: Wait...I'm not joking at all.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]that doesn't mean each spouse is individually less happy than they usually are, that just means the majority of their happiness comes from their kids instead of their spouses...
Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the best reason for the average Joe to study psychology: knowing about the mechanics of happiness makes you much better suited to attaining it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have almost no knowledge at all about the subject but I would expect this to be false. In fact, I'd expect the opposite to be true.

For instance, it's been shown that the more well-researched a purchase decision is the less likely you'll be satisfied with your purchase.