Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Re: LA area poker rooms

They spread stud high at HG and occasionally 8/b. My buddy plays in it very occasionally and tells me the game is super rocky.

Omaha is LOOOOOOSSSSEEE. You'll often see folks raising 87JJ.....
Old 12-26-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They spread stud high at HG and occasionally 8/b. My buddy plays in it very occasionally and tells me the game is super rocky.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by super rocky?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, everyone. The suggestions are becoming more helpful, and starting to narrow down decisions. Looks like HG might be best for convenience while I'm there (Jan. 10th-15th), though I really want to see either the Bike or Commerce just for the sheer size if nothing else.

So far comments have mostly been from people with hold em experiences. Anyone have any info on stud or omaha games for these places?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the 6-12 Omaha/8 with a full kill still goes daily at the Bike.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by super rocky?

[/ QUOTE ]

8/b = super rocky = not a big action game.

Stud has more action and worse players.

In both cases at HG the players seem to be very knowlegeable of each other.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, everyone. The suggestions are becoming more helpful, and starting to narrow down decisions. Looks like HG might be best for convenience while I'm there (Jan. 10th-15th), though I really want to see either the Bike or Commerce just for the sheer size if nothing else.

So far comments have mostly been from people with hold em experiences. Anyone have any info on stud or omaha games for these places?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the 6-12 Omaha/8 with a full kill still goes daily at the Bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played Omaha in about a year, but if I was going to I would probably play at Bike. Here is a quick rundown:

Commerce: $3-6 limit Omaha 8/o. Full kill. Same nits as always. Every single night. IMHO, the game is simply too tight to over come the rake. The players are pretty bad, but when every pot is heads up, and the local nits are playing strong starting hands, there are only so many mistakes they can make. The exception is the occasional LAG idiot/drunk that sits down. Even one of these guys will put the local nits on tilt, and fast. The local nits don't like losing their $30 buy ins on one hand. Especially A2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. So one of these guys may burn through $500 in a night and turn the table into a super loose fish fest. While everyone else is taking the flop with K257, you sit and wait for the A2 and destroy the game. Usually 1-3 tables.

Stud, I dunno. They used to have $1-2 up to $6-12 regularly. Now, who knows?

Hollywood Park: $3-6 limit Omaha 8/o. Normally 3 tables of $3-6 or thereabouts. Much better game than the average Commerce game. But HP sucks. The neighborhood is truly awful, and people have been killed in the parking lot. Woo hoo.

HG: I dunno.

Hustler: $3-6 limit Omaha 8/o. I haven't played it, but I've watched it waiting for games. It looks like the players are pretty bad. Not really a loose actionfest, but lots of pf limping and overall players calling with hands they ought not call with.

Bike: $3-6 & 6-12 limit Omaha 8/o. Some of the players have a clue. Most don't. Bike is most consistent in getting Omaha games going. Most of the pots are going to be 3-6 way, but there are some really bad players in these games sometimes. Other times they suck, but there are enough going that usually you can try and get moved to another table. Stud....I only know they have $1-2 up to $4-8. I don't like stud there because the players are a-holes.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 PM

I play both stud and O8 regularly at HG. They usually get three $3-$6 with a full kill O8 tables going by noon - many of the same players are there, but there are always a few new ones popping in. Many loose players - one significant thing is that from 11:00am - 2:00pm and 5:00pm - 8:00pm the bad beat jackpot on Omaha goes to $50,000 - it gets hit regularly, also this means that most/many players play for that jackpot (nines or better beaten), which changes the game too. They also usually get 2 or 3 $6-$12 games going with a full kill. A lot of players who like to gambool - lots of capped pots even before the flop at both levels.

Stud - highest is $3-$6 Stud Hi, and also Stud-8. This game also has a jackpot. There are many of the same players in these games - it runs hot and cold, sometimes there will be 2 or 3 tables going of each, sometimes they can't get a game started. Play ranges from very rocky to quite wild, with raises and capping every round. As always, depends on who's playing. They also have $1-$2 and $2-$4 Stud going too, but only Stud Hi.

I like it -