Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Default TT on button vs. SB (big-stack) re-raise. I\'ve been LAG. Now what?

Bodog $33 freeze-out. 109 entrants, 40 players remain, 18 get paid. Blind are 50/100. We're 9-handed.

SB (~9K)
Me on button (~4K)

I've been playing a lot of pots, raising quite a bit pre-flop and building my stack. I haven't shown down many hands.

SB, I don't have a specific read on, but it seems like he's been playing pretty straight forward poker. My guess is he's TAGgish.

It's folded to me on the button, I raise to 250 (standard for me in this tourney).
SB re-raises to 700.
What's my play here?

At the table, I re-shoved. My thinking was that my table image was so LAGgy that the SB could be making this play with a lot of hands (AJ+, 77+), and maybe some junk. I figured I'd just end the hand and take the ~1000 in the pot to increase my stack by 25%.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt like I should've called and played in position post-flop because of the stack sizes. Obviously the down-side is that I'm going to see overs on a lot of flops and I have already given up the lead in the hand, so if he c-bets, I have to tread lightly.

Any thoughts on what the optimal play is here?

Sorry I don't have a hand-history. Bodog [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

JoshNjuice
Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: TT on button vs. SB (big-stack) re-raise. I\'ve been LAG. Now wha

i think a shove is pretty good
Old 12-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Push is best play, second would be to call, play position, hope for low flop. with low flop, id bet half the pot, hope for a reraise and push. with high cards, raise his Cbet, and see what he does then. you dont want to flat call cbets here cause you dont know where you are, if he plays back your done with the hand.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Pot size reraise commits you, push is an overbet. So I don't like this alternatives. The good thing with the push is that it gets FE against a lot of hands with 2 overcards to your tens. Even with your image, I don't think you'll get called by hands that aren't beating or flipping with you though.

Given that we have position, I really like calling here. Then it depends on the flop. I'm curious to hear the rest of this hand.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:23 PM

this is why I hate the 2.5x open this deep. If you made it 3 he makes it 9-10 and shove is easy.

More and more lately I have been calling and shoving most flops.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that we have position, I really like calling here. Then it depends on the flop. I'm curious to hear the rest of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I re-shoved and he hesitated a second before calling with KK. No help on the board and IGHN.

I was mostly curious if I over-played my hand and cost myself the tourney. Would this be considered "making a play" with TT, or was this just bad luck since SB had KK? I feel like this play might get SB to fold some hands that I'd like to see gone (maybe AK, AQs, JJ), so that's why I pushed.

But the lower-variance alternative would be to smooth-call and hope for a low flop. Of course that's not going to happen very often and I still go broke against KK while possibly losing equity against AK (by either having to fold the hand when an A or K flops, or by losing the SB on an 8-high flop). Also, by just calling, I've given up the lead in the hand, so if he c-bets, I'll have a tough decision to make, regardless of the flop.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one? It seems like I find myself in these situations fairly often and I definitely need to get better at them.

JoshNjuice