Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: would you bet these flops ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: bets

hand 2: checks and sees

[/ QUOTE ]

You may end up check-raising hand two.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. You guys are irrationally fearful a better hand is out. Also, reasons like "an open ended straight draw isn't folding" is NOT a reason to check. Bet every street and worry about what to do if you get raised (hand 1).

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-25-2006, 11:03 PM

christian, i think c/f in both hands is very bad, especially hand one.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are irrationally fearful a better hand is out. Also, reasons like "an open ended straight draw isn't folding" is NOT a reason to check. Bet every street and worry about what to do if you get raised (hand 1).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know why this doesn't contradict what SSHE tells you about playing Marginal-Poor hands in a small pot with no redraws against unknowns?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:23 AM

I don't have SSH here so I'm not sure exactly what Ed says about this situation. My thoughts are we have already seen two players act and they checked and there are two to act behind us. Nobody raised preflop so its tough to believe a truly huge hand like KQ or AK lies behind us so we are in pretty good shape against everything else (worst case is probably outkicked and we will have a lot of chopping outs). I don't see what's so marginal about top pair in a 5 sb bet.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-26-2006, 02:33 AM

A general concept is that flopping top pair kings with a poor kicker in an unraised pot is safer than flopping top pair with something like a ten or nine under the same conditions. The reason is that usually larger king hands tend to alert you preflop with a raise, so there is less fear of being in a dominated position.

This advice may not apply in games that are very loose and passive. In my experience, Pokerstars 0.50/1 is not such a game.

I would bet hand one.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 AM

1) why not bet with decent position. No one showed any strength pre flop. You dont want to give anyone with a small piece of the flop a free card or anyone with a weak ace. If you were up front it would be a different matter. You also have to know your table image, and your opponents tendancies. If you do bet and get a suprising number of callers, you might have to put on the breaks depending on what comes off the turn.
2) There are too many hands that connect that flop. Your in bad position and do not have a hand that you can run through all the way and be profitable with. If you hit your king, it could give someone with a QT a straight. It's a small pot and this is a check and fold situation. Even if someone semi bluffs you, your hand is too vulnerable to scare cards that will force you to fold later, or call your money away.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 PM

I dont think top pair is marginal at all. It is a decent holding which wins most of the time.
And also. There might be a flush draw out there. Giving your opponents 6-to-1 is better than Infinity-to-1. Or for any other possible draw out there.