Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Default real estate development career-advice

I'm 21, finishing a bachelors degree in science. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but now am considering a career as a real estate developer/development. This is mainly because of my dad, who owns his own very successful business and will be able to employ me, and finance me with huge capital and thinks I could make a ton if I were in the field, although he knows very little about the details of the job.

I am looking for advice on what further education/books, and other advice/things I should know. I am not really sure what questions I should be asking...
Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 AM

Default Re: real estate development career-advice

I am suspicious of 21 year olds who want to jump into the latest bubble or fad. Look for the next bubble.

1) If you were a doctor, and you did not overpay for your degree, you would have the $$ to leverage into real estate.

2) My guess is that the near future of real estate will be dealing with foreclosures and over leveraged buyers.

3) Put together a resume and shop it around to real estate lawyers title agents building managers construction ect.

4) Be wary of realtors. They scam people into unpaid internships as sales assistants. That's fine as long as you understand you will not likely have a carrier in that field.

Taking some of the realtor courses might be a start. The commercial course in particular.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: real estate development career-advice

Although I agree that the real estate market is in a downslide I believe that mainly applies to residential. I work in econ. development and the commercial side is strong as ever. I have been considering going into real estate development as well lately.

I have a strong financial background which should help but more importantly I have found someone who might be willing to teach his 30+ years of experience. A good mentor should go along way just like in poker.

If you come across additional resources on the web let me know. It seems to be somewhat akimpy.

Where are you located? Another factor that can affect your financial outcome.