Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: A Horrible Spot

[ QUOTE ]

I know it sucks to make a bet that only better hands will call, but, like a blocking bet, if you don't make this bet worse hands will make it so you can't call which would suck hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. On the river, if you have a decent hand but a worse hand cannot call you check. Always. If he bets, then you decide what to do. Otherwise you are donating the money to hands which beat you regardless, and missing money that would be bet by weaker hands. The point is not to win hands, the point is to win chips.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know it sucks to make a bet that only better hands will call, but, like a blocking bet, if you don't make this bet worse hands will make it so you can't call which would suck hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. On the river, if you have a decent hand but a worse hand cannot call you check. Always. If he bets, then you decide what to do. Otherwise you are donating the money to hands which beat you regardless, and missing money that would be bet by weaker hands. The point is not to win hands, the point is to win chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I thought it was called a "blocking bet" because it "blocked" something....
Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 PM

This is generally misunderstood. A blocking bet is designed to be called by weaker hands. Say someone has called you down, maybe he has TP or maybe a f/d. You have TPTK, and the f/d hits the river. You gain more by betting and folding to a raise than you do by check-calling, because his weaker top pair will still call your river bet. That's why it's +EV, especially in comparison to check-calling.

Betting the river without value (other than as a bluff) is just bad play, OTOH.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:01 PM

QQ has a decent amount of value, and is pretty analagous to TPTK when a flush draw hit. The stack sizes, crazy preflop action, huge pot relative to the stacks, and OOP position make the situation really weird, though. I misread the OP and thought villain had 150 or so behind. Because villain has less than a PSB behind, I think check/calling a flop push extracts the most from worst hands because I don't think a push will ever fold even AJ and I think your hand is good more than 1/3rd of the time here.