Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

The 25th best (not necessarily ranked #25) LH would absolutely destroy Floyd Mayweather, and it wouldn't even be close. There is absolutely no competitive advantage for Mayweather in this fight other than quickness. For Mayweather to win this fight he'd have to, effectively, dart inside close enough to land a punch and dart out without taking damage throughout 12 rounds (or 10 rounds), and that's simply impractical.

The heavier fighter doesn't even need to land clean punches to be effective. He can land punches to the arm/shoulder or glancing blows to the head or body and still decimate a fighter that is 5 or so classes below him (through 12 rounds). Keep in mind that James Toney and Roy Jones Jr. moved up in weight, they didn't not fight out of their class as a technical matter.

However, there is a point of diminishing returns for the heavier fighter. A 280lb fighter does not enjoy the same advantage over a 250lb fighter that a 180lb fighter does over a 150lb fighter. Obviously, over, say, 200lbs and every fighter has the power to end a fight with one punch. This is not so with 150lbs.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 25th best (not necessarily ranked #25) LH would absolutely destroy Floyd Mayweather, and it wouldn't even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said
Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 25th best (not necessarily ranked #25) LH would absolutely destroy Floyd Mayweather, and it wouldn't even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Floyd have to stay at his current weight? What if he had 1 2 or 3 months to gain weight to fight at a higher class?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

I personally have done quite a bit of boxing and kickboxing (all smokers, nothing professional) and i can tell you straight up that weight makes a significant difference. To such a point that the LH would have to be almost a total can to lose even to a superior talent such as Mayweather.

I have boxed 185lb's who have very rudimentary boxing skills (i weigh 145) and it's ridiculous. Granted i'm not a very talented or very good boxer, but reach and weight differential are very difficult to overcome even with superior skill. Also 175-185 is not a weight range where excess weight detrimentally affects speed, stamina, or coordination.

But i suppose if conditions were perfect (large ring, "A" game going, etc) i could see Mayweather pulling out a win. But i wouldn't put money on it.

Oh, and has anyone heard of Nikolai Valuev? Now that guy has absolutely no boxing skills at all but holds the heavyweight WBA title. 7'0, 330lb's and has completely annihilated everyone due to his size advantage(granted the HV division sucks but still).